Elaine Ewertz's Reviews > Best Day Ever

Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda

** spoiler alert ** Brilliant. I devoured this book. I love psychological thrillers, especially the domestic sort, and this did not disappoint. I was captivated on page one. It makes you think: how well do you know someone? Even someone you're married to? Maybe not at all.
Paul is an unreliable narrator, which makes reading the story from his POV addictive and riveting. You truly get a glimpse into the mind of a narcissistic psychopath who can charm just about anyone. You'll be fooled for a while, too, thinking "Sure, he's an egotistical jerk but he loves his wife and would never hurt anyone." Then the intricate web of lies he's spun begins to unravel. There are hints from the beginning of Paul's true self, his violent psychopathic self, but it is still a shock when it all comes out in the end. Perhaps the creepiest part of all is his repeated insistence that this will be the "best day ever" for his wife when he is actually planning her worst day ever.

Now please excuse me while I go read this again. And go find more of her books. Well done, Ms. Rouda, I'm a fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Best Day Ever.

October 27, 2017 – Started Reading