Kalle Wallin's Reviews > Microserfs

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

A very interesting read! Especially now, almost 25 years later.

While the book itself was a bit uneven at times, the subject matter was fascinating. I was a teenager at the time it was written, and had a very limited perception of the world. I figured everything was moving forwards at a frantic pace, and anything that had been before was old and useless. Now I realize that despite the constantly accelerating pace of technological development and the shifts in trends in society, things do not really change that much after all.

It was also very interesting to read about life at big (and growing) tech companies, Redmond and Silicon Valley. The people, cultures and companies described here have played a big role in my professional life for a very long time, so it's always nice to read some of their history.

Hearing (or reading in this case) the same sentiments, visions of the future and reflections of the past as I sometimes do today is refreshing to me, since it means we do not exist in a vacuum, and nothing is created from scratch but instead builds slowly upon all that has been before. Also it could mean that the famous expression "if you blink, you miss it" might not be entirely true.

The book is very well written, it does not have too many hangups on hyped-up words and tech which makes it highly relevant still today, and Coupland is skilled at writing about current issues in a general way. It is also sometimes a nice piece of fiction, with many elements from the real world, which makes it a good read altogether.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Microserfs.

October 29, 2017 – Started Reading