Melanie's Reviews > Fallen Heir

Fallen Heir by Erin Watt
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3030788
's review

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, erotic-scenes, new-adult, read-in-2017, romance

1.) Paper Princess ★★★
2.) Broken Prince ★★
3.) Twisted Palace ★★

At this point, you guys know I’m trash for this series. It’s honestly just like a high school soap opera, but it’s so addicting and completely impossible to put down. And even though I haven’t enjoyed any of the installments as much as Paper Princess, I knew I couldn’t pass this by because this story is about my favorite Royal boy, Easton.

Reed’s off to college and Ella and Easton are finishing their senior year of school. And Easton is still being Easton; abusing drugs, fighting, having sex with anyone without thinking of consequences. And after one day at school where he chooses to be particularly bad, he is confronted by a girl who is immune to his charm. Hartley Wright is dealing with her own dark secrets, and she doesn’t have time to deal with Easton or his bullshit.

“You’re not the white knight in this picture. You’re the villain!”

But, like, Easton’s story starts out feeling really… gross? And it honestly just set a really bad tone for the book for me. Reed and Ella’s story was a slow, agonizing burn that started out as a hate to love, but it was still an always mutual attraction. Easton refuses to take no for an answer from his love interest and it made me really uncomfortable to read about.

Hartley never shows interest in Easton, which makes Easton want her because she’s so openly unattainable. And instead of respecting her and her wishes and trying to slowly win her over or something, he honestly stalks her. He changes his school schedule to have the same classes as her, he goes to her parents’ house unannounced, he honestly won’t leave her alone no matter how much she protests. And this goes on for like half of the book, until Hartley finally breaks down and starts liking him. But, like, she’s going through so many sad things in her life, it feels worse that she’s using her stalker as comfort because she honestly doesn’t have anyone else.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just being really sensitive because I know how it feels to tell a guy no and for them to turn around and refuse to listen. Plus, it feels so bad being romanticized, especially because Easton was my favorite out of his brothers! He always seems to sweet, caring, and kind, but was abusing substances because he couldn’t deal with the death of his mother. His character had so much potential to find someone and have a better start of a relationship than him being a creepy stalker.

Also, trigger warnings: losing a parent, underage sexual content (17), teacher and student relationship, physical abuse, underage drinking, drug use, addiction, and a lot of toxic male masculinity. So please use caution before going into this book.

All of these books end in a cliffhanger, so I really shouldn’t have been surprised that this one did, too, even though I was secretly hoping for Easton to have a standalone HEA book. Yet, this cliffhanger is the mother of all cliffhangers. Like, let me be the first to say that I’m sure Cracked Kingdom is going to start out with the ending of this book not being as bad as they are making it seem though.

And I know you guys are probably like, “Melanie, why do you keep reading this series if you continue to give it two stars over and over?” And that is such a valid question, and I know I should just cut my losses, but this series truly is addicting and so very fast paced. Like, all the problematic content shines so brightly through the story, but it is still somehow impossible to not turn the page, and that makes for a good reading experience even if I have to write reviews like this afterwards.

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch
110 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen Heir.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

October 29, 2017 – Shelved
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: erotic-scenes
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: new-adult
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
October 29, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
November 1, 2017 – Started Reading
November 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Candace Robinson Easton's head is a pretty interesting place lol


Melanie Candace wrote: "Easton's head is a pretty interesting place lol"

WAIT... this is Easton's book? Oh my word, I love you, Candace! *drops everything to read this!* 💗xx


Janett Candace wrote: "Easton's head is a pretty interesting place lol"

Yes, it is! I loved this book because not only do I love my Royal boys but oh...my poor Easton! I'm crushed.


Melanie Janett wrote: "Candace wrote: "Easton's head is a pretty interesting place lol"

Yes, it is! I loved this book because not only do I love my Royal boys but oh...my poor Easton! I'm crushed."


Oh my gosh, I love you guys so very much. Easton is, hands down, my favorite Royal! I'm starting this ASAP! 💗xx


Candace Robinson Yes!!!! 😘😘


message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey Can I just admit that I have been wanting to read these books for years, but I always chicken out because I feel like so many people have been crucified for enjoying them? Is it safe for me to read them and, even if I don’t agree with all the issues, still enjoy getting lost in them? 🤣😭


Janett Chelsea wrote: "Can I just admit that I have been wanting to read these books for years, but I always chicken out because I feel like so many people have been crucified for enjoying them? Is it safe for me to read..."

Look...READ THEM, Chelsea! This series has a huge following! I'm no prude and I feel that people who tend to have "issues" with new adult books have other "issues". We're not talking pulitzer winning books here now. They're teen drama, fun, sexy reads. Have a ball! Enjoy those yummy Royals. I sure have 😍😚😋


Janett Melanie wrote: "Oh my gosh, I love you guys so very much. Easton is, hands down, my favorite Royal! I'm starting this ASAP! 💗xx"

Yes, girl! Gobble this Royal baby up!!!! 😉


message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey Janett- you are a gem!!! Thank you; I just placed a hold on Paper Princess at the library! Will keep you posted. ❤️


Janett Chelsea wrote: "Janett- you are a gem!!! Thank you; I just placed a hold on Paper Princess at the library! Will keep you posted. ❤️"

Please do! Glad to help where my boys are concerned :P
Enjoy!!!!


Melanie Chelsea wrote: "Can I just admit that I have been wanting to read these books for years, but I always chicken out because I feel like so many people have been crucified for enjoying them? Is it safe for me to read..."

I honestly felt THE EXACT same, Chels. Then, I was having a rough couple of days and legit just thought, "screw it" and I couldn't put them down. Janett is so right with that they aren't masterpieces of literature by any means, but they are so addicting and have just made me so happy. I hope you enjoy them, too. Happy reading, beautiful! 💗xx


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first three but couldn't bring myself to read this one. I LOVED book one and they got worse and worse, in my view. I loved the over the top soap opera quality, but there wasn't enough "meat" as they go on to justify more books. My two cents! :)


Melanie Sh3lly ✨ Annihilator of Mangy Felines and Maggoty Malfeasance ✨ wrote: "I read the first three but couldn't bring myself to read this one. I LOVED book one and they got worse and worse, in my view. I loved the over the top soap opera quality, but there wasn't enough "m..."

THIS COMMENT! I 100% agree! Like, without a doubt, this comment is perfect and my exact feelings! 💗xx


Janett I disagree. I enjoyed them tremendously. Sorry you didn't.

I thought the stories were what they needed to be. It's high school drama and teen relationship angst.

And "Fallen Heir"....omg....broke my heart 💔


message 15: by gelowmichael (new) - added it

gelowmichael I thought this will be a trilogy. I abandoned the series because I thought it is a YA. hahaha


Janett Gelo wrote: "I thought this will be a trilogy. I abandoned the series because I thought it is a YA. hahaha"

There will be 5 books in total and there is 1 novella. The new book will be released January 2018.


Melanie Janett wrote: "I disagree. I enjoyed them tremendously. Sorry you didn't.

I thought the stories were what they needed to be. It's high school drama and teen relationship angst.

And "Fallen Heir"....omg....bro..."


Don't be sorry, love! That's the beauty of reading: we all feel differently! And these are like the highest two star rantings ever. I mean, I can't stop buying this damn series, so that means something, right? Haha! Happy reading, Janett! 💗xx


Melanie Gelo wrote: "I thought this will be a trilogy. I abandoned the series because I thought it is a YA. hahaha"

Yeah, I see a lot of my friends saying they thought it was YA! 🙈💗 Happy reading though, Gelo! xo


message 19: by gelowmichael (new) - added it

gelowmichael Melanie wrote: "Gelo wrote: "I thought this will be a trilogy. I abandoned the series because I thought it is a YA. hahaha"

Yeah, I see a lot of my friends saying they thought it was YA! 🙈💗 Happy reading though, ..."


Thanks. Referencing it as a YA because of the book cover. hahaa


Candace Robinson It really is a soap opera to which I’m addicted lol! I’m pretty sure the cliffhanger won’t be as bad as it seems too. But they probably should just make it bad, so it isn’t cliche!


Janett Candace wrote: "It really is a soap opera to which I’m addicted lol! I’m pretty sure the cliffhanger won’t be as bad as it seems too. But they probably should just make it bad, so it isn’t cliche!"

I know you're probably right, Candace but I can't help but worry what this is going to do to Easton. Is he going to finally get his crap together or fall further into self-destruction?


Candace Robinson Janett wrote: "Candace wrote: "It really is a soap opera to which I’m addicted lol! I’m pretty sure the cliffhanger won’t be as bad as it seems too. But they probably should just make it bad, so it isn’t cliche!"..."

I’m hoping he pulls his crap together for this next book and maybe go to AA!


Janett Candace wrote: "I’m hoping he pulls his crap together for this next book and maybe go to AA!"

But he's all over the place. He feels like he has nothing left...and now this? Hartley is a huge question mark, his parentage is in question and he feels like he is worthless. *sob*


message 24: by Serena (new)

Serena H. Wow this book is crazy......I mean Easton......Wow


back to top