jana marie's Reviews > All the Missing Girls

All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

it was ok
bookshelves: on-my-shelves, novels, mystery-thrillers, adult

I was really excited to read All the Missing Girls because I've read Megan Miranda's other book and I liked it. But I really didn't like this book.

I thought the fact the story is told backwards would make it more interesting, but it did not. I've read and seen movies and books that have a backwards storyline and this book did not do that format well. I had to force myself to continue with the story because a huge chunk of it was boring and dull. There were no thrilling parts at all, maybe near the end, but that was it. There were so few hints throughout the book and not enough foreshadowing that made me go: "Omg, how did that happen? I need to know!" Because it's told backwards, you'd think the characters would be deeply affected or discuss something big that happened the day before or several days ago, but they seemed unaffected. Of course, I guess this is the author's way of not revealing too much in the beginning, but I think revealing a little bit to keep readers engaged is important.

The one thing I really didn't like was the reveal and conclusion. When it was finally revealed who was responsible for the disappearance, it did not make sense at all. There were no hints, no indications — it just came out of nowhere. I don't mind those if they're done well and make sense. But this did not. It was almost like a cop-out so readers would be shocked and surprised. And I felt like the conclusion of all the loose ends was rushed. But one thing I did really like was the writing. I like Megan Miranda's writing style.

Overall, I didn't really enjoy reading this book and I think her other book The Perfect Stranger was better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Missing Girls.

October 29, 2017 – Shelved