Shawn Lealos's Reviews > Carrie

Carrie by Stephen King

bookshelves: horror-owned, horror-for-recommendations
Read 2 times. Last read October 29, 2017 to November 2, 2017.

This is the first book as I begin to re-read Stephen King in chronological order from the beginning.

It has been 30 years give or take since I read Carrie for the first time. I will be honest, there is a lot that I don't remember about the book. I didn't remember that the book was split up by breaks where there were scientific journal studies, testimony after the fact, excerpts from books and newspapers, and more.

Honestly, this book never should have worked but is brilliant and it is amazing that this was the first published novel by Stephen King. It is even more amazing that he threw the manuscript in the trashcan only to have his wife take it out and make him finish it.

Most people know what this novel is about. Carrie is a girl who is an outcast at school, mostly because of her fanatically religious mother and her uptight upbringing. She has always possessed the powers of telekinesis and exhibited it even as a young girl. It re-manifests itself after her first period when she is humiliated by the other girls in the show and culminates when she is humiliated at the junior-senior school dance.

The book takes an interesting direction because it tells you what is about to happen before it happens yet King's writing (tight and tense here, where it is more sprawling in his later work) keeps things intense all the way until the dance.

However, there is more here than just a girl with powers pushed to her breaking point. You could switch out the telekinesis with a gun and have a tale of a school shooting when someone bullied to the limit takes it out on everyone at their school. King approached that with Rage a few years later and that book has been pulled from publication due to real-life school shootings. Carrie is no different but might be safer because of the use of the supernatural.

However, at the end of the day, this is a book about a girl who was the victim but is considered the monster after the fact. It is King's version of a Greek tragedy - something he specialized in early in his career especially. It is incredibly well done and very disturbing and distressing to read.

It is a masterpiece and the start of an amazing career.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 11, 2012 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
September 13, 2016 – Shelved as: stephen-king-owned (Paperback Edition)
October 29, 2017 – Started Reading
October 29, 2017 – Shelved
page 61
page 75
page 81
25.16% "I just started re-reading Stephen King books and just started a new journey from the start in chronological order. It's been probably 30 years since I read Carrie and I did not remember that this was basically a record of events interspersed with the narrative of the story. It'll be very interesting to continue reading these books to see what else I forgot."
page 133
page 275
November 2, 2017 – Shelved as: horror-owned
November 2, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 9, 2019 – Shelved as: horror-for-recommendations

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Oscar (new) - added it

Oscar Ortega Agreed it was hard to read in spots because thirty years later it still happens albeit not with supernatural elements loved it salems lot next