Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror's Reviews > The Wicked

The Wicked by James Newman

bookshelves: season-of-horror-2017

No Spoiler/ No plot review

The Wicked by James Newman came in one of our Nocturnal Readers Boxes. I'm *so* glad it did! I'm not sure I would have found this one on my own, maybe...maybe...that cover can't really be missed! So without going into the plot too much, I will say that Newman took a classic horror trope, "Dreamy, beautiful, small town on the surface--new family moves in--all demonic hell breaks loose" and he wrote a damn good book.
The characters were fully fleshed out, nobody was introduced that I didn't care about on some level. Our main family, Kate & David felt very *real* to me, which made things super risky. I grew protective of this family. The neighbor, George Heatherly, loved him. Joel and Michael. The sheriff, truly--Newman writes characters that you relate to and invest in.
And then there's the evil. The threat. The bearded one. Moloch. SO TERRIFYING! I got the heebie-jebbie creep outs several times!
This book has short, vignette style chapters that have our family/protagonist narrative as well as narratives that feel like secret showings between author and reader--things we get to see that the characters do not and that was so SCARY! I can't even tell you how compelling that style of narrative is! The pace is perfect. It's unputdownable.
Often times I found myself speaking out to the book, "NO! No! Pleeeeeeasse! Not THAT!!"
Then on Friday night, I had the house to myself and I was able to binge read over 200 pages while I ate my dinner and listened to the rain outside and it was just perfect!
I loved the build and all the gross, creepy, sexual stuff that happened leading up to Part 2 and beyond. To be honest: I wasn't sure I even wanted to read Part 3, I was that scared. I felt like really bad stuff was going to happen but this is where the book takes off running. I loved the ending and the epilogue and the authors notes and the bonus story. I loved it all. This is my second favorite horror book that I read this season. I highly, highly recommend it but just know: It's gory and pulls no punches. Trigger warnings galore and for the serious horror enthusiast (in my opinion) READ IT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wicked.

October 29, 2017 – Started Reading
October 29, 2017 – Shelved
October 29, 2017 –
page 36
12.04% "I will eat this book alive! It’s so good so far!"
October 30, 2017 –
page 70
23.41% "Chapter 12–bee things"
November 1, 2017 –
page 88
29.43% "Ugh!!! Gross! Gross!!"
November 3, 2017 –
page 144
48.16% "Cleared part 2 on chap 35 and I’m just like terrified by what I’ve read so far. This is not going to end well (this book is so good!)"
November 3, 2017 – Shelved as: season-of-horror-2017
November 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Mindi Yes! I read the last 200ish pages in one go, and I felt like I couldn't read fast enough! That ending!! So good.