Suki's Reviews > The Passage of Love

The Passage of Love by Alex Miller

U 50x66

I won this book as runner-up in an Allen & Unwin competition - a Miles Franklin giveaway on social media - and the copy I read was an uncorrected proof. I entered the competition because the book appealed to me as it was described as being about a couple's challenge to balance their relationship and life with their desire to pursue a life of creative expression. I found this super exciting when I received it in the post! Here is my review:

An absorbing and evocative read which made me as familiar with the Australian landscape as if they were my own memories. Indeed, some of the scenes in my imagination from the chapters of this book appear in my mind's eye when I look out over the Australian countryside.

This book takes you on a journey through, for the most part, an unremarkable and almost regrettable long term relationship, but for those very characteristics was the story a worthwhile and even important one to tell.

Especially interesting through the eyes of a man, with all the internalised, frustrated and conflicted emotions he experienced being pulled between the urge to create and the oppressive desire to do the right thing and succumb to social control and a moral obligation. We bear witness to a man's suffocation while his partner flourishes and the equal opposite also takes place. There are multiple love stories threading through this tale, not least with the Australian and English landscape as well as with family, sex and life partner. The writer's style provides an escape to various scenes set over a seemingly long, but in perspective only a relatively short period of a man's life, with an evocative sense of place and an effortless prose.

Some books I give away after reading and some I keep to one day read again, this being the latter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage of Love.

2017 – Started Reading