Mehrsa's Reviews > Sex and the Constitution: Sex, Religion, and Law from America's Origins to the Twenty-First Century

Sex and the Constitution by Geoffrey R. Stone

Very good history of the social and cultural context in which the Constitution was written and how American ideas on issues like abortion, homosexuality, contraception, and sex have changed over time. Seems like we used to be more reasonable and got less so over time. Toward the end, there is too much discussion of each individual justice on the court and his or her leanings on each case (which is a personal pet peeve of mine on all supreme court writing) and not enough analysis of the general trends. Also, I think there could have been more focus on legislation instead of all on the court. But I suppose this is a book about the Constitution so the court being its only arbiter is properly placed at the center of the tale. It's just that there is so much more that affects day to day attitudes and regulations than just SCOTUS decisions. This is essential reading though to understand the history of each of our hot button social issues from the founding until today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex and the Constitution.

Started Reading