Maggie's Reviews > Demian. Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend

Demian. Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend by Hermann Hesse

May 05, 2008

did not like it

Ugh. I forced myself to finish this short book and, in the end, felt it wasn't worth the trouble. I picked it up because I loved Siddhartha so much (though it's been years since I read it and now I wonder if it it will hold up). I found Demian terribly melodramatic and over-wrought and I could never really begin to care much about Sinclair and all his angst-ridden inner turmoil. There were a few interesting and lovely passages -- only a couple of times did I feel a thrill of poetry in the language or an inspired idea. Otherwise, I found it completely tedious and disappointing.

If anyone else wants to give it a try, I'd be happy to pass along my paperback copy. Many people seem to adore this book, and I'm sure it will be better appreciated by someone other than me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demian. Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend.

Started Reading
May 5, 2008 – Shelved
May 5, 2008 – Finished Reading

Michael Dipietro I had pretty much the same experience. Loved Siddhartha, hated this one. I felt that much of the "philosophy" here was just floaty mysticism with no substance. By the time I got to the end, the melodrama was making me laugh out loud a bit.

Jose Moch Would you mind reading my review?

Jose Moch WITH THE MERE USE OF MY WILL I WANT AN ATTRACTIVE LOOKING WOMAN FEEL SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO MEEE!!!

Troels I suppose the spiritual message in the book is more fascinating and thrilling when you are young - just like me. You should take a look on @RandomAnthony's comment here on this site.

Jose Moch Why?

Jules I agree with the review.
I just couldn't seem to follow and I'm wondering if I'm just not in the right space for Sinclair.
As I stated in my comments section I will possible revisit this read at a later time.

Any recommendations for other Hesse books besides Siddhartha?

message 7: by Ana (new)

Ana Pardo I read this novel years ago as a teenager. It was one of the books we had to read and it blew me away, Siddhartha which we also read did not. More than 20 years have gone by and I have always meant to reread it because I forgot exactly why I found it so enlightening then. I finally reread it, just did. I found it over the top and really didn't offer anything new and enlightening. I'm now a grown 35 year old woman. Those years of adolescence and angst are past me. I have long come to terms with my spiritual beliefs and self that everything this novel has to offer is nothing that wows me.

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Alvarez Do you still have the copy of the book?

Alicia Sorry to disturb you but Do you still have the copy of the book? I would love to have it, if you don't want it

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Totally agree! I barely could finish it.
I guess I should read it when I was teenager.

Emmanuel Castellanos I had pretty much the same experience. I loved Siddharta. I think that the philosofy is deep but clear too. And, even when "Demian" liked me, isn´t better than Siddharta. Demian confused me just because I think that sometimes de symbolisms didn´t make sense, and more than that, don´t apport a real philosofy aspect.

Edrian Ancero Demian is a novel that is ultimately influenced by Freud's Psychoanalysis and Jung's Analytical Psychology. The book is not simply a representation of Hesse's philosophy. This is so much more than that. This shows how clear and accurate some of Hesse's interpretations of the concepts from both theories.