Diane S ☔'s Reviews > The End We Start From

The End We Start From by Megan  Hunter

liked it

A very interesting and timely premise. The water levels are rising, London already under water, and it is spreading to cover different cities and towns. A young woman is about to give birth, and soon has baby Z. Fascinating juxtsposition, a pending breakdown of society, with the wonder of a new birth. They are forced to move, again and again from camp to camp, as the water rises, and as food supplies dwindle. Baby Z grows, and a mother's love for her child very apparent.

The story is told in short, sparse paragraphs, with quotes from the book of Genesis, creation and the flood, interspersed between certain segments. This was done so well, but there was one hurdle I could not overcome. The constant use of initials, bugged me to no end, and also made this short book confusing, trying to sort out and remember who was who. Possibly this was done to show that in a society collapse, an environmental disaster, names no longer matter, only survival does, but for me it lessened the impact of the story bring told.

I am not sorry I read this, it had important issues to convey, and many reviewers did not find the same impossibility of jumping through the hurdle that I could not. Judge for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End We Start From.

May 2, 2017 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
May 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
October 27, 2017 – Started Reading
October 27, 2017 – Shelved
October 28, 2017 –
page 40
October 29, 2017 –
page 85
October 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Oct 31, 2017 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kevin Ansbro You were left with the same feeling as I was after reading this, Diane.
But I found it so difficult to say anything too critical, as this is a young, debut author with a great deal of potential, so I remained tight-lipped, which isn't like me at all!

message 2: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Great review, Diane. Sometimes for it is hard to review a book I had lukewarm feelings for..but you handled it with grace.

Angela M Because you weren’t sorry you read it and it is short , I’ll give it s try . Definitely appreciate your thoughts, Diane .

message 4: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Diane!

Diane S ☔ Kevin wrote: "You were left with the same feeling as I was after reading this, Diane.

I did rate it a three for it's originality but those darn initials were just too much for me. She does have a great deal of potential, but I couldn't rate this higher and felt I needed to say why.

Diane S ☔ Crumb wrote: "Great review, Diane. Sometimes for it is hard to review a book I had lukewarm feelings for..but you handled it with grace."

Thanks so much, Crumb.

Diane S ☔ Angela M wrote: "Because you weren’t sorry you read it and it is short , I’ll give it s try . Definitely appreciate your thoughts, Diane ."

Thanks Angela, it may not bother you as it did me. The novelty of it's format and subject made it worth reading.

Diane S ☔ Deanna wrote: "Great review, Diane!"

Thank you, Deanna.

message 9: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Great review Diane

message 10: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Really liked reading your thoughts on this book Diane. At least you took away something from it 😊 wonderful review x

message 11: by Esil (new)

Esil This sounds frustrating, Diane. I like how you describe what you like about it, though.

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Esil wrote: "This sounds frustrating, Diane. I like how you describe what you like about it, though."

Sounds like it could have been so much better, great review though Diane. X

Diane S ☔ Thanks Wendy and Svetlana.

Was distracting and frustrating Esil and thanks.

Thank you, Maureen.

message 14: by William (new)

William Thank you for the review! By 2025 there will be 8 Billion people on earth, each wanting a high standard of living. Society will collapse as not enough food can be grown, and the sea will be too polluted and rising too high. A billion refugees will flee areas simply too hot to live.

It's already too late to fix this.

But don't worry, after we are gone, the earth will heal itself.

Larry H Terrific review, Diane. I agree with your review completely, right down to the use of initials!!

Cheri Wonderful review, Diane! When I was reading this, especially at first, I found the use of initials annoying, but eventually I just accepted it. I expected something to explain that later... I thought this had a great premise, and in some areas the writing was very good, but there were a lot of "holes" in it for me, too.

Diane S ☔ Kind of scary, William.

Thanks, Larry and Cheri

message 18: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Phenomenal review Diane! This book has intrigued me but I have read so many so-so reviews that I’m going to skip it. Thanks for helping to solidify my decision!

message 19: by William (new)

William Re-reading your fine review, it occurs to me that Borne might be considered a kind of sequel .... Fascinating.

Diane S ☔ You are welcome, Susanne.

William, I have Borne but have yet to read.

message 21: by William (new)

William Diane S ☔ wrote: "William, I have Borne but have yet to read."

It's a masterpiece. 😊

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Nice review, Diane! Glad it worked out for you.

Diane S ☔ Thanks, Melissa.

message 24: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy I'm just finishing this. At first the initial didn't bother me. But of course, as more characters were added it did get confusing for me and took it bit away from the reading experience. You aren't alone. Like you, and don't regret reading it.

Diane S ☔ Thanks Joy, nice to know I'm not alone.