Suzie Waltner's Reviews > A Song of Home: A Novel of the Swing Era

A Song of Home by Susie Finkbeiner

This is my first Pearl Spence novel, and what a captivating surprise it was. With an eleven-year-old narrator who is finding her way during a tumultuous time, A Song of Home hits all the right notes.
Pearl’s life isn’t perfect—she’s left her beloved Oklahoma behind and her mother has left—but the young lady strives to show kindness where she can. Her young heart feels deeply for those she sees struggling around her—the girl in school who has so little, the young woman who has darker skin than most who cares for Pearl and her friend Ray, even the mother who chose to leave her behind.
When Pearl’s mama returns with a shocking revelation, yet doesn’t seem to know how to communicate with them, the family must find new footing.
This book touches on several difficult issues—ones that were relevant in the mid-1930s as well as today. Racism, prejudices, unfaithfulness, and depression all have roles in this story, but the overall theme is that the people who make up your home (whether family or friends) are the ones who will always be there for you when you need them most.
Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song of Home.

October 27, 2017 – Shelved