Cody's Reviews > The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness

The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery

The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery is an entertaining, highly personal, and very informative look at the intelligence and consciousness of one of the worlds most fascinating animals. Thinking of intelligent creatures on our planet, it's quick to point to the ability of chimpanzees to learn sign language or German shepherds in policing and military environments to sniff out bombs, but an Octopus is an even more intriguing subject on the matter. Octopuses are invertebrates, but who thinks of a class of the animal kingdom that includes slugs and clams as having traits associated with intelligence? There's a bias there certainly, and as Montgomery explains, we certainly have much more to learn about our world and the creatures that inhabit it.

Covering four different Octopuses lives at the New England aquarium, Montgomery's book is quite touching and even tear jerking as she develops such personal relationships with all of them. It's amazing the level of consciousness these animals have, from their individuality to problem solving skills to recognizing the people they interact with. The almost taboo subject of animal consciousness quickly becomes the underlining theme here in relation not just to octopuses, but other creatures on both land and sea. Not too long ago biologists like Jane Goodall were hesitant to apply psychological traits associated with humanity to animals, and only just recently has the scientific community been able to really push forward these studies on various subjects in the animal kingdom. Montgomery provides such a passionate analysis that the reader should walk away with that very same passion and respect for these wonderful animals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soul of an Octopus.

October 27, 2017 – Shelved
October 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
December 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by M. (new)

M. Sarki You certainly have a wide range of interests Friend. Cheers.

Cody M. wrote: "You certainly have a wide range of interests Friend. Cheers."

Thanks! Bit of a renaissance man :D

message 3: by M. (new)

M. Sarki My thoughts exactly.

message 4: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, Cody - very interesting!! :)

Cody Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Cody - very interesting!! :)"

Thanks Jaline!

message 6: by Bianca (new)

Bianca It sounds intriguing. Great review.

Cody Bianca wrote: "It sounds intriguing. Great review."

It really is Bianca! Happy reading!

message 8: by Kelli (new)

Kelli I’m adding this.

Cody Kelli wrote: "I’m adding this."

I think you'll enjoy it Kelli!