jammaster_mom's Reviews > Play With Fire

Play With Fire by Dana Stabenow

it was ok

I very much enjoy this series, but this but no so much.

In this book Kate is hired by a boy to find his father who disappeared a year ago. Only Kate has just discovered a body while out picking mushrooms and no one has reported anyone as missing from the small town. In true Kate Shugak fashion she is unable to let this go until she knows what happened and why. Kate finds herself in the middle of a battle with a fundamentalist church and the public school system in the small town with a teacher caught in the middle.

I liked getting to know more about Kate and her life at college in Fairbanks. The book is much more about her than about anyone else which I appreciated. What I didn't like is that the book ended up being a long rant against organized religion and those who believe in it. Just not my cup of tea. I will say that it did fit very well with the character of Kate Shugak and religious history in the Alaska Native population to a point. Then the plot and characters took it even further.

Still a fan of the series and looking forward to the next book and Kate's next adventure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play With Fire.

October 24, 2017 – Started Reading