Phillip Murrell's Reviews > Dispensing Justice

Dispensing Justice by Fritz Freiheit

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2017

Dispensing Justice is a young adult story of the son of a superhero who takes up his father’s legacy. I placed myself into the mind I had as a sixth grader when I read this. You should know that as a kid (and still today) I rooted for the coyote to get the road runner, Sylvester to eat Tweetie, and for Starscream to usurp Megatron as the leader of the Decepticons. I have always enjoyed a lot of action, and the lack of it was ultimately what cost a few stars. Feel free to read below an in depth look at what I considered the good, the bad, and the technical. Some mild spoilers may take place.

The Good:
The narrator, Mike Gurick, is a great protagonist. He is competent, but not overpowered. He is ultimately like a young Bruce Wayne with some Hank Pym and Tony Stark thrown in for good measure. I liked that he was an intelligent inventor of gadgets that I would love to see on television or film.

I’m a child of the eighties, so I truly appreciated the pop culture references from 1984/1985. Much of the world changed after 1947, but I knew exactly what Mars Wars was and how the villain looked.

There are a pair of kids, the terror twins, who are overzealous in becoming superheroes. They have a single focus, but their actions show what would likely happen to a pair of eleven year olds like them is accurately depicted.

The gadgets are cool. I must say it again. I liked what many of them did and how they were described.

The Bad:
There are very weird chapter transitions. I understand it’s a YA book, but many chapters (there are over 100 total) literally break in the middle of a conversation and picks up with the response in the next one. I’m not talking about an explosion followed by a “Noooo!” chapter break, “I’m alright.” It was often just answering a simple question of what to do after school. It was very jarring and odd. Or, perhaps I don’t read YA books enough to see how normal this is.

I may have missed why, but everyone uses first names. Kids call their parents Liz and Diana. I guess it may just be a unique transition after 1947, but it felt very weird and didn’t make sense to me.

The story is very slow. There are only two action scenes, but most of the story seems to jump around. Some scenes don’t seem necessary. This can be fine, but I need more action to justify it. I just really wish a superhero story had more heroics.

The Technical:
The story is written in the first-person POV.

The story is a stand-alone adventure, but it literally ends with the words: To Be Continued. If you want a full story, I believe you get it, but some people will see those words and translate them to: Do Not Read.

There is a glossary of terms at the back of the book. I didn’t have a problem with understanding the acronyms and slang, but if you want a reference, you’ll have it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dispensing Justice.

October 27, 2017 – Shelved