All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Darkness Devours

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in June, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Reminiscent of the early Anita Blake books, Keri Arthur’s third Dark Angels book is an action packed and highly sensual urban fantasy. DARKNESS DEVOURS was my first foray into this series, but Arthur did a good job of weaving important previous events into this story so I was able to mostly jump right in.

The plot is complex involving multiple death threats, tracking down the last member of a supernatural terrorist group, finding the mystical keys to heaven and hell, and hunting down a serial killing monster. On the personal side, Risa’s romantic life is no less complex. She’s forced to seek help from Jak, an ex who brutally betrayed her years ago, deal with a confusing–potentially mutual–attraction to Azriel, an austere reaper who is mostly detached from human emotions, and evaluate her ongoing arrangement with the fallen Aedh Lucian, her bed buddy/body guard with highly questionable motives (who is responsible for most of the very erotic sex scenes in DARKNESS DEVOURS). It’s a credit to Arthur’s characterizations that I didn’t get too frustrated with Risa’s many suitors. Her situations is anything but conventional, but I mostly understood her reasons for keeping it this way (although I do have my personal preference for who she should end up with).

This is an intriguing urban fantasy series with a hefty dose of romance and robust worldbuilding that I’ll probably go back and catch from the beginning. If you’re a fan of Arthur’s Riley Jenson Guardian series, you won’t want to miss reading this spin-off. The fourth book in the Dark Angels series is titled DARKNESS HUNTS and will be released on November 6, 2012. It’s going on my TBR pile already.

Sexual Content:
Several graphic sex scenes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Devours.