Jess's Reviews > A Man of Some Repute

A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson

That sneaky devil, Amazon Suggests for You, was spot on with this book. I enjoyed myself immensely reading the story. Blurbed as "with a touch of Downton Abbey, a whisper of Agatha Christie, and a nod to Le Care.." it doesn't disappoint. I'm already ordering book 2. Edmondson leaves the reader wanting more and she hints at a deeper mysteries in lead characters, a potential love interest, and also more to come on the Earl Selchester's machinations which have left turmoil in the wake of his death. Well done. I'm hooked, Ms. Edmondson.

What's It About: Former Intelligence Officer Hugo Hawksworth finds 1953 a year of change. He struggles to acclimate himself to a desk job, convince everyone his leg injury is a result of a "bicycle accident", and raise his 13 year old sister Georgia with a semblance of normalcy after traumatic years of living in London during WW2 which led to their becoming orphans, oh yeah... and the Cold War is beginning with Moscow suspicions beginning . -before you roll your eyes and exclaim "Agatha Christie already did the brother and sister bit.."- Georgia is quite different. In fact, I happily began to compare her to one of my other favorite sleuths; Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce! Georgia is quick witted, precocious, protective of her brother, and also irritatingly (for Hugo) a sharp, shrewd judge of human character. I can't wait to read more scenes with Georgia and Hugo!
While staying in the Castle; Hugo is present when a skeleton is found underneath the flagstones of the church. The Earl of Selchester had gone missing some years ago in a snow storm and his daughter eagerly awaits his declaration of death as she has an inheritance to sell off to hotel investors. Cash is King. The police seem eager to pin a murder on the Earl's dead son and niece. Hugo isn't convinced. With the help of his priest Uncle, Georgia, and Freya Wryton, the Earl's niece, he starts to put the puzzle together. And more sinister workings were at play all those years ago which spill into current times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man of Some Repute.

October 27, 2017 – Started Reading