Charli (charlithebookprincess)'s Reviews > The Fortunate Ones

The Fortunate Ones by R.S. Grey

Why am I just now reading something by the wonderful R.S. Grey?!? I will be getting my hands on all of her books eventually because The Fortunate Ones was really good. Plus I am an Austinite and a lot of her books are set in Austin, which is so fun to me because she is talking about places that I frequent. The Fortunate Ones is a New Adult Contemporary Romance with a hero that will make your mouth water. It releases November 1, 2017, so I highly recommend that you pick it up.

The Story. I absolutely adored this book! It is so well written and I loved how it flowed together. The author did a phenomenal job of creating characters with depth as well as creating a good plot. Brooke is working at a high end country club in Austin while looking for an au pair job to put her degree to use when she crosses paths with one of the most talked about members, James. Not only is James uber rich, but he is also sexy to boot. Unexpected circumstances bring these two barreling down a path that neither expect. However, what happens when their five year plans don't match up?

Brooke. The book takes Brooke's POV. There were things that I both loved about Brooke and didn't love about her. Brooke is a strong, witty, stubborn, and driven character who has her heart set on traveling the world while putting her Spanish and French skills to good use. Until then, she is stuck serving as a cabana girl to slick, old men and snobby preteens. Brooke is still overcoming some buried deep baggage that her mom inflicted on her and it plays a huge role in her relationship with James. So many times I just wanted to shake her because she was blowing things out of proportion that didn't need to be made such a big deal. However, I understood where she was coming from and that she needed that room to grow later in the book. It was heartbreaking, yet incredible to read about how much she grew and matured into exactly who she needed to be.

James. Hardcore swooning over here. James is 36 years old (11 years older than Brooke), and damn he made 36 look good. James is sensitive, powerful, strong, and a totally alpha character who is ready to settle down with someone special and grow a family with them. He is tired of coming home to an empty, literally, house and wants someone to come home to. What he doesn't expect is Brooke. I fell in love with James in this book because he was honest and upfront about what he wanted, yet he was willing to try anything to make it work with Brooke. In the end, Brooke did what was best for her and, subconsciously, he just had to hope that she would make it back to him.

The Relationship. I was a little sad that we didn't really get to see these two in a stable relationship. Their chemistry is undeniable and their relationship is really all over the place, but I wanted a little more from them. I felt like *poof* their relationship was there and then *poof* it was gone. Despite this, I LOVED THEM TOGETHER. The romance and the relationship are strong...it just takes a slight backseat to Brooke's character development and the plot.

I would highly, highly recommend this book to those who love: rom-coms, slow burn romances, headstrong heroines, and alpha males.

Overall Rating: ★★★★★/★★★★★
Blog: www.radbabesread.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fortunate Ones.

October 26, 2017 – Started Reading