Ursula Gorman's Reviews > Split Second

Split Second by Catherine Coulter

Sep 28, 2011

bookshelves: action, family, family-bond, grandfather, grief, hero, kidnapping, multiple-story-lines, murder, mystery, paranormal, police, romance, sadness, series
Read from September 28 to October 22, 2011

Split Second by Catherine Coulter is part of the Savich/Sherlock FBI's ongoing series. Anytime a new Savich/Sherlock book comes out, I have to have it, and Split Second doesn't let you down.
Lucy Carlyle is a determined young FBI agent that is forced to team with 'playboy' Cooper McKnight; a job she doesn't relish.
The death of her beloved father sends Lucy's world in a tail spin. A seriel killer with a famous, or infamous, bloodline, a strange gift from a grandfather that disappeared when she was just a small child and dealing with running the investigation as a team with Coop keep Lucy off balance.
There were two aspects of this story that didn't quite work for me. The first being Lucy's secrecy over the gift her grandfather gave her and the last words she heard her father speak. She knew that her co-workers knew that she was lying but she continued to lie, for no real reason. Telling the truth wouldn't have changed the storyline; in fact, it could have been used to bring the characters together, forming a stronger bond.
The second problem for me was Lucy's feelings toward Coop. She starts out with simmering hostile feelings toward him, but before there is much interaction between the two of them, she is calling him for help; as if it is natural instinct. He goes from being a 'playboy' in her mind to someone she calls at the first sign of trouble. It doesn't really make sense since there is hardly any build up or individual conversations between the two of them to cause her feelings to have altered. The only thing that happened to change her opinion of him was the way he was during the death of her father, but it wasn't enough to have changed strong feelings like the ones she had.
The whole of the story was well written, well developed and engrossing. I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys FBI thrillers. The 'issues' I mentioned above weren't troublesome enough to hurt the overall excellence of the story, the writing or the series. Split Second lives up to the 'fan worthy' reputation that Catherine Coulter has earned. This will go into my personal library!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split Second.