M Tremmel's Reviews > Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? by Steven Tyler

Sep 28, 2011

did not like it
Read in August, 2011

Music documentaries and biographies (auto or otherwise) are my guilty pleasures. I cannot get enough. That is, perhaps, until now. Steven has the gift of gab as we've all seen who have tuned in to American Idol 2.0. However, the problem is that his publisher and editor do not limit the verbosity. Not even the most ardent music and Aerosmith fan wants to read or listen to the minute details of his upbringing and the endless stories of his rock n roll debauched lifestyle.

What makes matters worse is that up until (Disc 9 of 16) I had to return the audio version of the book to the library there was no pay-off. And when I say pay-off I mean any sense of remorse for the marriages he destroyed or lives (read daughters) he damaged by his reckless, absentee and devil may care disposition. He glazes right over some of the most interesting and sometimes devastating car wrecks in his life story where you're expecting some growth of character.

Oddly, there are moments, brief flickers where he seems almost soulful only to be followed by some misogynistic joke. Perhaps, he careened to these brief respites throughout his multitude of experiences.

His childhood story is quite interesting and his love of language leads to some funny chapter names and even funnier allusions. I just wish there was a morale to the story. Maybe that is actually his point. There is none. Because if he had remorse, he probably would have had so much it would be unbearable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?.