Scott Hitchcock's Reviews > Red Tide

liked it

Book 1: 3*
Book 2: 3.25*
Book 3: 3.5*

The series continues to get a little bit better each book.

The world is vibrant and multicultured offering a lot of different perspectives and players in the game. The storyline continues to widen and the end of the book convergence gets better every book. The issue I have which keeps this series from being a 5* effort is the characters. It's not that they're bad it's that I don't have an affinity for any of them. I can really like a evil character but all of them are a collective meh. Even when writing about the dragons there lacks that malice which other authors provide giving them a personality even without speaking parts.

This is only the authors third book so I hope he continues to grow into it. His writing is much smoother at this point than an Esslemont who had the advantage of Erikson's setting the table with the world and characters in place.

Romney and the Spider come the closest. I wish there was a lot more of them. They at least offer a subterfuge behind every move I find compelling.

I'll continue when the second half of the series comes out. Hopefully the author grows and puts more into the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Tide.

October 26, 2017 – Shelved
page 300
February 10, 2018 –
page 300
February 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Beste (new)

Beste At least the ranking trend go upwards :)

Scott  Hitchcock Beste wrote: "At least the ranking trend go upwards :)"

It's a good series. It's just missing the "it" element for me.

message 3: by Bart (new) - added it

Bart Any news on books 4-6?

message 4: by idiffer (new) - added it

idiffer @Beste
If you mean that every subsequent installment has higher avg rating, then that ALWAYS happens, since the ones who continue the series are the ones who like it. So alot of ppl that thought book 1 was crap aren't gonna vote on book 2, so book 2 only gets the good ratings.

message 5: by Beste (new)

Beste idiffer wrote: "@Beste

@idiffer I meant for Scott

message 6: by idiffer (new) - added it

idiffer @Beste
oops

Scott  Hitchcock Bart wrote: "Any news on books 4-6?"

I haven't heard any.