Ashley's Reviews > Tempests and Slaughter

Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce

bookshelves: dnf

DNF on page 22.

I picked up this book because it was marketed as young adult and sounded great. Immediately I was put off because in chapter 1 the main character is.... 10 years old. The chapter headings have the year in them so I flipped ahead a bit to see if this was just a prologue and if the book would suddenly jump forward 5+ years or something... not really. It does skip ahead throughout the book but I wasn't really that interested in spending a few hundred pages reading about a 10-13 year old. That feels more middle grade to me than YA.

Additionally, as I read a few reviews to find out if this did have a more MG vibe, I learned that the book doesn't really have an overarching plot or central conflict like a typical story. Instead, it's more like a summary of the MC's years at school. It's more like a vague history or prologue of the other books by this author than a full story in itself. This also put me off, perhaps because I haven't actually read the other books by this author so I'm not going into this book with an existing knowledge of this main character.

tl;dr: Not for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempests and Slaughter.

October 26, 2017 – Shelved
October 26, 2017 – Shelved as: unreleased-stalking
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 6, 2019 –
page 6
1.29% "This is probably stupid of me but I didn't realize the MC was going to be so young."
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: dnf