❄️Nani❄️'s Reviews > Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening

Monstress, Vol. 1 by Marjorie M. Liu

liked it
bookshelves: graphics-comics-manga

3.75 ⭐️

"To quote the poets... we're fucked."

Welcome to the world of magic and mayhem with wondrous visuals.

This dark and visually-stunning comics does not hold back on anything in its portrayal of wartime depravity. From slavery and torture to racism, cannibalism and coming to grips with postwar traumatic experiences.

It took me a while to really get into the story but I instantly fell in love with two things - the breathtaking artwork and the sweet and adorable little muffin, Kippa. 😍

Let's get back to the artwork, people! I'll be honest, I was more smitten with the visuals than the story itself. It was all just simply stunning - the detailed backdrops, the portrayal of expressive emotions of the characters, even the dusky colour schemes that stay true to the dark tone of the book throughout...wow. All I can say is hats off to Sana Takeda for these truly phenomenal graphics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monstress, Vol. 1.

October 26, 2017 – Shelved
October 26, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 14, 2017 – Shelved as: graphics-comics-manga
December 8, 2017 – Started Reading
December 8, 2017 –
30.0% "“To quote the poets... we’re fucked.” 😂"
December 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

daisy The art for this series is gooooorgeous! I hope you enjoy it 😊

Heather Codename: ♕Dutchess♕ I still need to read this. I think in January I’m going to work on getting this and Saga in trade paperback so I can get caught up (along with all my other comics from the last three years).

❄️Nani❄️ daisy wrote: "The art for this series is gooooorgeous! I hope you enjoy it 😊"

It really is! I skimmed through it when I first bought it and,,,, ahhhh😍😍
And thank you! I hope I do too!!

❄️Nani❄️ Heather Codename: ♕Dutchess♕ wrote: "I still need to read this. I think in January I’m going to work on getting this and Saga in trade paperback so I can get caught up (along with all my other comics from the last three years)."

I’m only starting this but you’ll love Saga! Atleast I hope you do. :)) I enjoyed it so much! The characters are AhMazing! I hope I enjoy this as much as I did Saga.
And enjoy yours too!

MeaganCM I really enjoyed this! I like books with anti-heros and exploration of darker topics/themes. Plus the art was beautiful!

❄️Nani❄️ Meagan wrote: "I really enjoyed this! I like books with anti-heros and exploration of darker topics/themes. Plus the art was beautiful!"

I'm the same!
Villains, anti-heroes, grey characters... 😍 😍
Yeah, the art is TOP NOTCH.👌 :)