Ross Blocher's Reviews > The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan

I don't feel hyperbolic saying this is one of the best and most important books ever written. I can only kick myself for having left it on the shelf so many years. In his characteristic congenial, non-threatening, well-studied, literate and abundantly clear way, Carl Sagan explains the importance of critical thinking, science and education. Sagan is a master of succinct conveyance, ever-shifting the reader's perspective to a better vantage point from which to understand a concept. That he manages to do so with humility and wit is all the more impressive.

So much ground is covered, looking in turn at every aspect of belief, psychology, biology, ethics, technology and social structure, with examples still relevant twenty years later. The Demon-Haunted World is dense with meaning, and is not the sort of fare one chews lightly. I spent a long time in this book, and each page presented at least one brilliantly-stated quotable (many of our favorite Sagan-isms originate here): something to stop and think about, or a topic I needed to look up in more detail. I made the initial mistake of taking a highlighter to this book, only to realize I'd end up highlighting half the words. It's that kind of book. One cannot help but occasionally hear Carl Sagan's friendly, sedated-Kermit-the-Frog voice reading various passages - especially the ones heavy with philosophical import or gazing with us in awe at the wonders of the cosmos.

I can't think of anyone I would not recommend this to. Please read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon-Haunted World.

Started Reading