Kate's Reviews > The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet

1914270
Sep 28, 2011

bookshelves: nutrition, nonfiction
Recommended to Kate by: Sheena @ WCCF

Absolutely fascinating! The chapters about grains and leaky gut, as well as our fat confusion, and the topics of stress and cortisol or why we need more sleep, were hands down the best chapters. I also liked that Robb got down on my level and explained nutrition in ways that even I could understand and make sense of. Plus, I never would of thought a nutriton book could be funny and this one actually was in certain parts. I'm a fan and can't wait to download some of his podcasts onto my ipod to listen to in the near future.

As for myself, my own personal journey with thinking about food differently, began when I was diagnosed with celiac disease and was experiencing severely low energy levels. I knew something was off balance, so I started seeing the nutritionist at my gym, Windy City Cross Fit (WCCF), and kept daily food logs. Sheena said I was really good with the veggies but I was eating too much rice. So, we did an experiment. I replaced the rice with fat (primarily avocado and coconut oils) and these last few weeks (since the beginning of September) I've been feeling really energetic! Now knowing the science behind it and how our bodies digest makes perfect sense to me and I can’t wait to see continued results in my whole body well being.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paleo Solution.

September 28, 2011 – Started Reading
September 28, 2011 – Shelved
September 28, 2011 – Shelved as: nutrition
September 29, 2011 –
page 47
14.69% "One of the most accessable nutrition books I have read yet!"
September 30, 2011 –
page 119
October 5, 2011 –
page 197
October 6, 2011 – Shelved as: nonfiction
October 6, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea LOVE Robb Wolf!!

Kate Awesome Lea! This is my first book of his I've read and I really like how he gets on my level and explains things in such detail. It's really made me rethink a lot about where I buy my food, what I consume, and how the human body works to digest. Let's just say my partner and I are under going a lifestyle diet makeover for the best! I have yet to convince him that my garlic, bacon brussel sprouts are delicious, but at least I'm getting him to eat a whole bunch of veggies once a day now. I'm still plugging along with preparing all my foods in advance, which is a lot of work, but to be honest I'm feeling more healthy and alive then ever before! It will be interesting to go in for my yearly physical this year and see how my blood work comes back, and if I will still receive that pesky perscription for those cholesterol pills they keep pushing on me that I absolutely refuse to take because I'm very against pharmaceuticals and with good reason, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. Are you and your family Paleo eaters?

message 3: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea In a word . . . no. But we should be! I agree with everything he says -- it just makes sense, scientifically. But I'm just soooo disorganized and lazy . . . BTW, I'm completely on the same page with you re: prescriptions, etc. Especially when it's something that you could potentially be taking for years (or even the rest of your life).