Sfdreams's Reviews > Murder on the Rocks

Murder on the Rocks by Karen MacInerney

May 05, 2008

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended to Sfdreams by: Dennis
Recommended for: cozy mystery fans, maine coast enthusiasts, bed-and-breakfast lovers
Read in April, 2008

This is the first book of an excellent series by Karen MacInerney. I am especially impressed, because the liner notes indicate that this is her first novel.

Natalie Barnes fulfills her life's dream and opens a bed-and-breakfast on Cranberry Island, off Maine's coast. With her niece, Gwen, helping out at the inn, and her friend Charlene down at the general store, this book evokes the charm of small-town island living, with the bonus of recipes at the end!

My friend, Dennis, was the one who recommended this book. He is very taken with small town Maine coastal life anyway, and he just loved this series! I enjoyed seeing through Natalie's eyes, and have a new appreciation for running a bed-and-breakfast. (Not that I ever seriously considered opening one, but this book gives you a truer picture of the hardships involved.)

I am adding Karen MacInerney to my author alert at the local library (they automatically reserve those books for you...helps the authors too, as they tend to buy the books from authors on the author alert lists.)

I strongly recommend this series!!! (Dead and Berried is the second in the series, and is just as excellent as this one.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Rocks.