Rose Mary Griffith's Reviews > When the Music's Over

When the Music's Over by Peter Robinson

Nov 14, 2017

Read from October 25 to November 07, 2017

Others of Peter Robinson Alan Bank’s novels have hit me hard for various reasons, this one because of its timeliness. In the life cycle of a novel, I know this was written before the Harvey Weinstein debacle hit the news and that British celebrities (Jimmy Savile) mentioned in the book were probably the impetus for him writing it.

As with so many of his books, there are two stories—one from years ago and one set in present day. Sometimes the stories coalesce into one, other times they run parallel.
On one hand, a fourteen-year-old rape victim, Linda Palmer, comes forward fifty years later with her story—of historical abuse—by celebrity Danny Caxton. This investigation is headed by Banks, with Winsome as his second.

The present day story is pursued by Annie Cabot and protege Geraldine Masterson. It’s always interesting to hang out with Annie and this time we got to learn a great deal about her quite-opposite, Gerry. This story is about fourteen year old girls today being “groomed” as sex slaves. This is not a term I’d heard before, but there’s an article by Dr. Michael Welner on Oprah.com that helps explain it. It’s utterly awful.

I read the kindle version, and marked this text spoken by a good cop in chapter 1, page 24: “These girls end up so terrified, so *** up, that often the rest of their lives are blighted. They see themselves as natural victims and that’s what they become. All their lives, people abuse them just the way Caxton or whoever did all those years ago, and they can’t stop it. They can’t even figure out why.”

Another telling paragraph, spoken by a close-minded cop, “They’re trouble makers all of them (the 14 year old girls). If they were going around having sex with older men for money, it was probably because they wanted to. Nobody forced them.”
This is a very fast-moving book that keeps you turning the page and wondering where the story is going and whether or not the young girls will be saved and if Linda Palmer will receive her justice and Danny Caxton his punishment.

If you have been a victim of abuse at any point in your life, this book may raise some issues. If you have been wondering why the victims of sexual abuse decades ago are coming forward now, this novel may give you some insight into those reasons.

As always, I look forward to the next Alan Banks mystery.

One note, as a writer, I have problem words that I freely use when writing my first drafts. Then I edit and edit and edit until those overused words fall into the trash. I was so annoyed and distracted by Robinson’s overuse of the word, “just,” that it was literally driving me to distraction. At some point I began highlighting them—there are hundreds and hundreds. Yikes to how they got missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Music's Over.

10/25 marked as: currently-reading