Kristin's Reviews > Waiting for His Return

Waiting for His Return by Carrie Turansky

liked it
bookshelves: 2017-reading-challenge

This story was an enjoyable quick read despite a few complaints. Waiting for His Return is a short story set in Nashville and takes place near the end of the Civil War.  When I had the opportunity to read this book, I was so excited. This author puts out well-written novels and I always enjoy a good historical romance.

While this book has very solid writing, I feel that like a lot of other novellas, it relied heavily on a traumatic event and instant love to propel the story forward.

I read James Galloway as a swoon-worthy artist and I was happy that he found love with Rachel. But, when you employ instant love and then introduce a possible love triangle, that's a bit much for me.

The characters were likable and I honestly think I could have really loved their story in a full-length novel. I just felt that a novella could not adequately tell this story. I wanted—no—I needed more.

What do you think about historical fiction? Do you have a favorite era? What about a favorite author who writes historical fiction?This review was originally posted on A Simply Enchanted Life

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for His Return.

October 25, 2017 – Started Reading