Melanie's Reviews > Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade

Assassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden

Sep 28, 2011

it was ok

No two ways about it: the writing in this book was awful. The prologue was so badly written it actually made me laugh, and whilst most of it wasn't that bad it was bad enough. Clarifications were offered unnecessarily, and sentences often didn't make sense. A nick pouring blood? That's one hell of a nick! This was obviously something thrown together very quickly to capitalise on a successful franchise.

The story, whilst having a good pace, was undermined by plot holes, and was very video game-ish, espcially shown in the main character - Altair - going back and forth between places in a way which would have been awfully impractical in actuality. The ending was good, with the morals coming around nicely, but the characters were so flat that I didn't really ever care about what happened to them. They tried to introduce dimension to Altair and a couple of others but for me it just didn't really work.

Assassins spend years being trained and are master of their art, and whilst they seem to come out on top most of the time (though there are some occasions where they are bested), it never really seemed to me that they were particularly skilful with a blade. There was a lot of slash and parry and darting about avoiding, but very little that spoke of actual superior skill on their part. In counterpoint to this, all of them seem to be killer marksmen, with no Assassin ever missing a shot with an arrow or a thrown knife. And it is amazing to me how so many people who've just had their throats slit have time for a quick natter about all their plots and plans, drop some mysterious hints about what is going on, or give some portent of doom.

All in all, a rather unbelievable story and not one I'd recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Creed.

September 28, 2011 – Started Reading