Tracy Emro's Reviews > The Bride Who Got Lucky

The Bride Who Got Lucky by Janna MacGregor

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley-reviews

I know I am in the minority here, but I did not care for this book.

Basically the heroine Emma (cousin to Claire from the previous book) is on a mission. Her dearest friend Lena has died and Emma believes Lena’s husband is responsible. Emma is determined to bring the man to justice, single handedly if necessary. Once she has accomplished this, she wants to open a bank that serves only women, thus giving them a way to be independent.

Unable to ignore a death she feels partially responsible for, Emma asks her parents and brothers for help. But when they tell her to let it go, she ends up makes one bad decision after another.

Nick, Earl of Somerton and heir to the Duke of Renton also is on a mission, his one and only desire in life is to make a fortune greater than his estranged father’s and then flaunt it in his father’s face. He doesn’t have time for nonsense or for a wife - but thanks to Emma’s inability to stay out of trouble, he is going to end up with both.

When Nick saves Emma (yet again) from herself, they are caught in an inn together and to save their reputations, marry.

As wedding present Nick gave her the funds needed to start her bank and it seems like Emma has matured and has come to peace with Lena’s death. That is, until she doesn’t get her way then her true colors come out.

I personally found Emma to be one of the most annoying and manipulative heroines I have ever read. And while the story had potential, the execution fell flat. The plot was flimsy and at times down right unbelievable. Nick was the one high point in this book, if not for him, I may have broken my own steadfast ARC rule and not finished the book.

In the previous book, I felt like the author added too many elements and the story ended up being too busy. In this book she managed to stay on point, but the plot line she choose just didn’t work for me - it was not true to the era and was riddled with contradictions. I am not sure if I would be willing to read the next book in the series, but I do know that I would not be conformable recommending this book to my friends.

*I am voluntarily leaving a review for an UNCORRECTED ARC provided to me by NetGalley and the publisher*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bride Who Got Lucky.

October 24, 2017 – Shelved
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley-reviews
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 27, 2017 – Started Reading
October 29, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Barbara Rogers I had the exact same feelings. The plot was entirely implausible for the time period. The heroine was selfish, self-centered and could have cared less about the anxiety she caused those who loved her. The ONLY good thing about the book was Nick. I am amazed at all of the 5-star reviews.