All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Wild Hunger

Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristina

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

WILD HUNGER was a fun return to the world of the Chicagoland Vampires series featuring the next generation of paranormal or paranormal adjacent characters. I liked that while you see many of the same characters from the Chicagoland Vampires series, it is it's own thing with characters dealing with different, more complex issues. The story is darker and delved more into the inner workings of the faeries, a paranormal group who weren't that front and center in the previous series. I felt like the murder mystery plot was decent with a lot of set up for some other more interesting plot points in future books.

Elise Sullivan, the daughter of Ethan and Merit from the previous series is an excellent mix of her parents. She also has some of Merit's food obsessions. I felt like she was a bit more serious than Merit which lead to the darker feel of WILD HUNGER. She's dealing with some bigger issues both internally and externally so it makes sense that she's a bit more angsty at times. It would be really easy to fall into the same relationship patterns that Merit had with her friends and Ethan but Elise is truly her own person with very different relationships than her mother had. I liked her relationship with her best friend, Lulu which seemed very realistic. I am also enjoying the very slow burn romance between Elise and Connor.

WILD HUNGER is a good start to a new spin-off series that has echos of the former without feeling like a rehash of the same plot points but with different names. I'm excited to see what trouble Elise gets into and what new revelations about this world come about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Hunger.

Finished Reading