Msladydeborah's Reviews > Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness? What it Means to Be Black Now

Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness? What it Means to Be Black Now by Touré

Sep 28, 2011

Who is Afraid of Post-Blackness: What it Means to be Black Now is sure to be a conversation starter for those who read it and openly discuss the points that Toure' raises about Black identity in this century.

The format of this book is a combination of Toure's personal experiences at a child of the Black middle class and excerpts from over 100 interviews with different Black people from different generations.

The mixing of opinions and experinences is one the strong points of this work. Through the contributions of people from different walks of life, you can see how we have evolved past the identity markers of Blackness that once glued us together.

There are also some very mind boggling information in this work. Toure' points out that Justice Clarence Thomas read the speeches of Malcolm X daily and his friends declare that he is quite well versed on what Malcolm spoke about. He was also ready to join the Black Panthers at one point in his college career. Who knew this about Thomas?

Toure's in your face style of writing is not spared in this work. I found myself thinking long and hard over the different topics and examples that are present to support the argument that we need to look at ourselves different because there is a real need to do so. He raises a fact that I have believed to be true for my children's generation. They are the real beneficaries of the movement. They know that racism still exists and the have to deal with it on a different level than there parents and their grandparents. I recognized this reality within my own family and it is one that needs more acknowledgement.

He also deals with the sensitive topics of class, colorism and Black authenticy issues in a thought provoking manner.

I really liked this book and I am recommending it to anyone who likes an intelligent perspective on the subject of racial identity and attitudes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness? What it Means to Be Black Now.

Started Reading