Hollis 's Reviews > Look for Me

Look for Me by Lisa Gardner

If the antidote to terror is strength, then I had to find some muscle.

I'm a pretty new convert to the Gardner love but no less devout for all the newness. Reading LOOK FOR ME feels like coming back to the beginning, literally, as I had started with Flora's story in FIND HER (silly me), and here she is again two years later. But in a role that is both like her last and yet very different.

Flora Dane was right, DD thought; she should surrender her detective's shield and turn vigilante just to avoid doing any more paperwork.

I enjoyed the added element of Flora mixing with DD and company, giving her someone to bounce off, to roll her eyes at, and their very different methods resulting in very similar results as they chase down a missing teen after the seemingly cold execution of her family. Where this twisty plot kind of fell off the rails for me though is that those parallel investigations meant lots of rehashing of the same information. This felt like a story that could've almost been a novella. But instead the same details are dragged out and on and I felt the really emotional, dark, tense moments, the moments that I love from this author, kind of got washed out in the process.

Being a survivor didn't just mean being strong. It meant being lonely. Honestly, truly lonely. Knowing things other people weren't supposed to know.

It's not the first novel by this author that hasn't wow'ed me, and probably won't be the last, but nonetheless it's still an enjoyable ride. I love coming back to DD's life, seeing what stage in life she's at (Jack is five, and they are getting a puppy!), what new challenges she has both as a mother and a wife and I love this somewhat softer version of her. She's still sharp edges and suspicion but she's matured in the past nine (and more, considering crossover and novellas) books and the tough cases are now tough in different ways than they used to be.

"You don't talk of a future. There's always just this : the business of survival."
"I know."
"Do you want to live happily ever after?"
"I'm not sure I know what that is."

I like that Gardner touches on that element, how she keeps things grounded by how these cases affect the team. Flora's presence offers that post-rescue perspective which is both heartbreaking and heartwrenching and yet in this one we see hope for better, hope for more, or at least hope for something. That being said I hope we don't get saddled with Flora in every future book but I'm on board with her popping up along the way.

Looking forward to the next by this author; whether in this series or her others.

3.5 "basically the only thing they could definitively prove was that the girl was a bitch. sadly that was not an offense punishable by law" stars

** I received an ARC from Edelweiss and the publisher (thank you!) in exchange for an honest review. **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look for Me.

October 23, 2017 – Shelved
January 17, 2018 – Shelved as: not-all-the-feels-but-some
January 17, 2018 – Shelved as: plot-is-twisty
January 17, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller
January 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sandy I totally agree with your review and your statement, "those parallel investigations meant lots of rehashing of the same information". Plus DD rehashed the same info multiple times with her partner and husband. I found myself reading over these pages very quickly. I still gave it 4 stars since it kept me interested.

Hollis Sandy wrote: "I totally agree with your review and your statement, "those parallel investigations meant lots of rehashing of the same information". Plus DD rehashed the same info multiple times with her partner ..."

so glad you still enjoyed it, Sandy!! but yeah one of my pet peeves is repetition, especially needlessly, so that'll bug me even when it's a favourite story or author. hoping the next is a big wow for us both!