Anne Crotty's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: young-lit
Read from September 27 to October 02, 2011

Dear Vera;
How can I possibly ignore you? From the beginning of the book when you ask me “Is it okay to hate a dead kid? Even if I loved him once? Even if he was my best friend? Is it okay to hate him for being dead? You made me think. You made me laugh out loud with your wit and your sarcasm. You made me cry a bit too as I watched you deal with the death of your best friend…the cruelty of teenagers…the obliviousness of your dad…Vera, I can’t ignore you and in fact, even though I have finished reading your story a few days ago…I cannot stop thinking about you.
Vera Dietz is an 18 year old senior in high school She has a part time job as a “pizza delivery technician”. She has many issues to contend with: the abandonment by her mother, her awkward father, her isolation from her peers. Her biggest struggle however, is with herself. She must come to terms with her feelings surround the death of her best friend, Charlie.
Charlie betrayed Vera in the months before his death. Vera is now left with her feelings of anger at Charlie for dying as well as the unresolved anger she has for the way in which he treated her. The circumstances of Charlie’s death are somewhat suspicious. Charlie reaches out to Vera from beyond the grave and compels her to clear his name. As Vera does this she discovers many things about herself. She tries to find peace for Charlie and more importantly, for herself.
Vera, can you now see why I could not ignore you? It was refreshing to read a “teen death” book that talks about the issues in an authentic way. You provide for the YA reader (and the 40 something readers like me) a real character. You are flawed…but you know it. You offer a survivors’ perspective that is the perfect balance between culpability and perseverance. I will recommend your story to many of my friends and colleges…and I will miss you
Your Friend;
Anne
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.

message 1: by Kellie (new) - added it

Kellie Anne I really love the way you completed this review. I have not read the book, but I am definitely going to put it on my never-ending list of books to read! There are a number of teen books that deal with death and sometimes they don't genuinely deal with those issues that surround the deceased and the survivors that were left to deal with the aftermath. I'm glad to hear that it is authentic and read. A friend of mine recommended it for upper high-school students like grade 11 or 12, but I have seen it in grade 9 and above as well. What do you think?

bjneary I loved your review and posted a comment on Edublogs.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Kiesel i like how you wrote the review... caught my attention and I'm definitely adding this to my list of books I want to read! Thanks :)