Zeek's Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Sep 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: witches, urban-fantasy, mystery, fiction, fantasy-modern
Read from April 04 to 20, 2012

Storm Front is first in the poplar Harry Dresden series and an introduction to Harry and his assortment of co-horts, magical and non. Harry’s a wizard by trade and from the looks of it- one powerful wizard. He’s also a private detective of sorts- he puts his shingle out for anyone who needs a hired hand in the magical realm and though his business is an unpredictable way of making a living, it works for him.

At almost the exact same time his next client walks in the door, he’s called to assist the local police in solving a murder. (A hired consultant, he helps them from time to time when his particular talents seem warranted.) On this case, a couple is gruesomely murdered- and from the looks of it, by some pretty powerful black magic. It doesn’t take Harry long to encounter a mysterious figure called the Shadowman who is serious about stopping Harry from investigating further. Solving this one is gonna take him into the territory of evil magic, mobsters and demons- but solve it he must, because he’s shot to the top of the likely suspects list and that will mean certain death because aside from non-magical laws, he’s on probation from using that sort of magic from his kind as well!

I’ve heard such good things about this series, I was anxious to start it- however I found myself less then enthused as the story drug on. Don’t get me wrong, I get the appeal of self-depreciating Harry- Wizard and Hard Boiled Detective- but I felt like I was just following him around as a silent ghost. :/ I'm thinking, the first person narrative didnt help much in this one, because there was too much inner dialogue and not enough with the other characters. But then he is sorta of a lonely sort.

Perhaps its because there was much backstory that happened off page, well before this story. I didn’t get to walk with him as he was put under the Doom of Damocles (the magical probation referred to before) or establish his friendships and that sorta left me feeling less than engaged. Me? I like to feel what the characters feel, taste them. Never happened much here… until the very end when he battled his own nature against the lure of power.

I also liked the mystery and how the plot- well, it just fit, like a good puzzle. Nothing wrong with that. But again- I need more character development to keep my interest, so much of the middle of the book was just “meh” .

In the end, I liked Storm Front, it simply suffered from freshmanitis too much to be really good.

A friend mentioned that the series doesn’t really pick up till later- so I’m skippin on to the fourth book for my next venture into Harry’s world I think. ::shrug:: or not. We’ll see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.

04/04/2012
12.0% "James Marsters (AKA Spike) is reading this to me. I'm gonna love this book no matter what. ::drool::" 2 comments
04/05/2012
25.0% "I must be following young chippies on Pinterest because all they pin are wedding dresses, which btw, are size 0. ::rolleyes::"
04/17/2012
65.0% "lmao. Darn those love potions."
04/19/2012
66.0% "last update: I've officially decided I'm not a huge fan of magic and withes and wizards stories. I dont mind them as side characters but main? eh" 6 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Beanbag Love Zeek, I get that you want to skip, but the third book is really good and very important. So, if you're skipping, skip to 3, not 4. You'll just confuse yourself. :)

Great review, I'm a fan and I know the first two books are basically learners. They just get better and better. :D

Zeek OH! ok! I will do that then!

(By the end I did up liking it better- but it sure drug for me for a little. :/)