blackplume's Reviews > Amy Roger's Epic Detour

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read on November 22, 2011

Review originally posted in Blackplume

I’ve been reading a lot of books lately that deals with death topic and surprisingly I enjoy reading most, if not all the books I read under this category. Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour is one of those books that I enjoy. Road trip, music and adventures are few of the things that got me reading this one which were the same reasons why I enjoy the book as a whole. Add the photos, sketches, receipts, notes and souvenirs as scrapbook entries I was totally on board in this trip of adventure and discovery.

Amy and Roger, two different individual stuck in a car together for few days of road trip across America. They are both dealing with their own personal baggage. Amy starts off completely wrecked, blaming herself for his father’s death. And without her family by her side, she seriously need more than just a break. She needs to find herself and learn to let go of sad memories from her past. Roger on the other hand has his own issues too. After his ex-girlfriend dumped him for no reason. He agrees with this whole trip seeing it as a chance for him to track his ex-girlfriend, Hadley. To find out and understand the reason of their breakup and to try win her back.

The slow building friendship between Amy and Roger were done pretty well. From almost strangers to friends, confidante & lovers. A few days of road trip is like a long months of getting to know each other in a different level. There were sweet and fun moments between them as well as serious and silent moments. Even the awkwardness and tension around these two were also fun to read. The connection between them developed fairy quickly but still manage to be believable.

Roger’s college friends offer more fun and refreshment in the story. Their genuine personalities and welcoming aura provides light and fun moments to the story. Bronwyn is such a sweetheart. I enjoy her intrusion to Amy’s wardrobe and style. She only take a little space of the story but she made a big impression. She shines in her own way in this book. If this book is part of a series I definitely want to see Bronwyn again. Another interesting character is Lucien Armstrong, brother of Roger’s ex-girlfriend, Hadley. If Bronwyn is a sweetheart Lucien is her guy southern counterpart. A person who will open his home and heart to strangers. There are more other characters, I won’t mention all of them but their parts left a huge impact to Amy and Roger’s trip and life.

Continue Reading Here
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy Roger's Epic Detour.

Quotes blackplume Liked

Morgan Matson
“You've got to have pride in your home. You are where you're from. Otherwise, you're always going to be lost.”

Morgan Matson
“And sometimes,” she added, in slightly hushed tones, like she was letting me in on a secret, “if you don’t feel great on the inside, just look great on the outside, and after a while you won’t be able to tell the difference.” (Bronwyn)”

Morgan Matson
“Tomorrow will be better.”
“But what if it’s not?” I asked.
“Then you say it again tomorrow. Because it might be. You never know, right? At some point, tomorrow will be better.”

Morgan Matson
“The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren't looking for them.”

Morgan Matson
“It’s not about the destination. It’s getting there that’s the good part.
- Leonard”

Morgan Matson
“The thing about Magellan is the thing about all these explorers. Most of the time, they’re just determined to chase impossible things. And most of them are so busy looking at the horizon that they can’t even see what’s right in front of them.”