Swaps55's Reviews > The Gunslinger

Sep 27, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: stephen-king, scifi-fantasy
Read in October, 2010

The long-spanning nature of this series makes it interesting to look back at the first book, because there is such a stark difference between King's writing style and abilities in this book verses the later books. Even after some slight revisions, it's easy to identify this as one of King's early and even unpolished works. When read alongside the others, it almost feels like the work of a different writer. The dense, often overwrought prose that I often criticize King here is absent, almost too absent, as in many cases I could not figure out where I was or what was going on - I had to retrace pages, sometimes more than once, to get my bearings again.

Though the comment I am about to make is not predicated on this book, it applies to the series as a whole, and if you are thinking about starting The Dark Tower I figure you're looking at reviews of the first book. So, here is my recommendation: if you are a huge fan of Stephen King, read it. The later books are full of Easter eggs that would make any knowledgeable fan giddy, and this is clearly the work that is closest to King's own heart. Therefore it is significant to any Stephen King fan. But if you do not have much exposure to Stephen King and wish to check out some of his novels, do not start here. These books are not representative of King's overall work, and quite honestly the passion and devotion he has for the Gunslinger, which I empathize with and applaud, is often a detriment to the work. If you want to know why Stephen King is such a big deal, start with "Carrie", "The Shining", or "The Stand." Read these when you've inhaled his other novels, and be prepared. You're in for a journey.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.