Bonnie (A Backwards Story)'s Reviews > Cobbogoth

Cobbogoth by Hannah L. Clark

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, blog-tour, fantasy
Read from March 04 to 06, 2012

Check out the full review on my blog for a chance to win a copy of COBBOGOTH as well as an in-depth video on the novel's interior/exterior cover analysis!

I love when books can be categorized as "mythology" or a "fairy tale" even when they're 100% out of the author's own imagination with no reliance on a traditional tale. For me, this is COBBOGOTH. It creates its own mythology and makes you feel as though Cobbogothians are real. It makes you want to look up tales about this race of people and hear more about their stories. Sadly, the Cobbogothians are an invention purely from the mind of author Hannah L. Clark, though she'll kindly be returning to them in future books. Another fun fact about COBBOGOTH is that, while it's the first in a series, it has a sense of feeling self-contained. While there are a couple of loose threads left at the end that encourage a return to Clark's world at a future date, there's no cliffhanger to leave one tearing hair out. I also enjoy the fact that the legends are set in Iceland, rather than the author's home country, giving readers a fresh perspective.

Norah Lukens has always known about the Cobbogothians, but has always thought their race to be a mythological one. She grew up living with her uncle, a famous archaeologist, after her parents died in an accident shortly after her birth. The day she leaves school to return to her uncle, he's found brutally murdered. He anticipated that this would occur and has left encrypted clues behind for Norah to discover. Norah becomes swept up in a dangerous quest as she attempts to solve a mystery that will shed truth on the discovery of a lifetime, one that has been carefully kept hidden from the public eye. She's told to trust no one, and feels she can't even share things with her childhood crush after overhearing a private conversation of his. Caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time during a second murder, Norah finds herself being chased by police and on the run. She makes her way to Iceland, where life as she knows it will change in drastic ways beyond her control.

COBBOGOTH is full of mystery and intrigue. Clark deftly delivers a world where readers are as curious about what's going on as the novel's narrator. Too many books make the direction they're going in obvious for readers; this one never did and I was surprised multiple times. To me, this is the sign of a good mystery and am intrigued by the world Clark has immersed us in. I'm eager to see what path she leads us on next and get a more in-depth look at characters introduced late in the title. I'd also like to commend Clark on her debut novel's sleek design. It's well put-together, both inside and out, as well as nicely edited. This book looks like one that could be picked up in a bookstore, especially with all the attention to detail in the interior design. This doesn't look or feel self-published. I'm glad that Clark created her own publishing company so that readers won't immediately realize it's self-published and turn up their noses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cobbogoth.

03/04/2012 page 56
19.0% "I actually started this one yesterday and the story is just getting going now :)"
03/04/2012 page 108
36.0% "Murder and mayhem, the best ingredients in any good story!"

Melissa Sodano Great review, Bonnie! I was intrigued when I first saw that you were reading this title, just based on the name of the book alone. Couple a word I can't pronounce with a superb review, it sounds like a book I need to read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bonnie (A Backwards Story) Melissa wrote: "Great review, Bonnie! I was intrigued when I first saw that you were reading this title, just based on the name of the book alone. Couple a word I can't pronounce with a superb review, it sounds li..."

Haha, now I see this!! I'm so behind. I hope you enjoy it when you have time to read it! <3