Kelly Hawkins Solomon's Reviews > Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things by Martina McAtee

Read 2 times. Last read October 1, 2017.

First, this cover! I mean, who wouldn’t check the book out with a cover like this?! Second, the premise of the book promises lots of supernatural and ghouls alike! I mean, duh! YES, PLEASE! I have not read a story like this before. It definitely takes the paranormal world to a new level. This story is hilarious, witty and a bit on the morbid side in a fantastical way. Ember is just a teenage girl who is trying to get through life. She has had a terrible childhood and when her alcoholic father dies her world really does turn upside down. Her life goes from complicated to unrecognizable. There is a huge amount of characters ranging from our softies to the baddies. Most have a supernatural ability. And when they are all put together the story explodes! Naturally we have many secrets that are going through the process to be revealed but most truths come with more questions. Ember is really just trying to figure herself out and when she finally finds where she is supposed to be she isn’t sure if she can live up to what everyone expects her to be. She is drawn to the dead, like a moth to a flame, and she has no idea why. What I love about this book is how the story comes to life. The author does an incredible job with bringing all of the characters into play and giving them all a voice. We get to experience the monsters, illusions, redemption, fear, doubt, jealousy….just all the feels! This is absolutely one of my new favorite books. In fact, when I finished the book I went right out and purchased the second because I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! And I was not let down in the slightest. Trust me, you need to read this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things.

September 1, 2017 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 1, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
Started Reading
October 1, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 22, 2017 – Shelved
November 13, 2017 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)