L.M. Payne's Reviews > When the Sick Rule the World

When the Sick Rule the World by Dodie Bellamy

bookshelves: feminism, health

This is an amazing, shocking, moving and brilliant book. I've found myself returning to some of the essays multiple times. I'm slightly obsessed with the essay 'Phone Home' in which Bellamy shares the death of her mother through the frame of watching the film E.T.

Bellamy's sparing use of punctuation and paragraphs can sometimes make the text look dense and impenetrable on the page, but when you get into it, her use of em dashes and commas replicate the experience of racing thoughts and create an immersive experience. I also gained a lot from reading the essays out loud, (to my dog, so I didn't feel stupid). There's something about Bellamy's prose that is given to verbalisation.

A great model for my own essays, and thought provoking in content. Also, a good book to take with you to hospital and doctors appointments to freak out the medical staff. Just look up slyly every so often, with a secret half smile. Keeps them on their toes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Sick Rule the World.

October 22, 2017 – Shelved