Tessy Ijachi's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Recommended for: Very patient people

”Nothing in the world is harder than convincing someone of an unfamiliar truth.”

I think an unfamiliar truth that would be hard convincing me about is the fact that the third book might never be released. I do have a theory, maybe the next book is actually 6000 pages long, that's why it's taking this long, right??? Nahh.

Am going to put aside my thoughts and theories about the next book and talk about this book for a moment.

This book starts off where book one ended and it's actually the second day of Kvothe telling the story to chronicler and bast. I got to see some stuff happening outside of the story he was telling and got to know chronicler and bast better.

I love Bast even more now, he's crazy and hella entertaining and chronicler is calm and thoughtful.

Throughout this book, I kept wondering what happened to Kvothe cause there are obvious differences between the younger Kvothe and innkeeper Kvothe ,am itching to find out what made him so different. I guess I'll find out in the next twenty years when patrick decides to release the third book to us.

I loved Kvothe for his very spontaneous, crazy, stubborn and wise personality in the first book and am very glad he got to keep that personality, although he went through a character development which may have involved slightly becoming a young cassanova.

I could relate so much to him, especially with his love for music.

”My music always helped. As long as I had my music, no burden was ever too heavy to bear.”

“My music has always been the best remedy for my dark moods. As I sang, even my bruises seemed to pain me less.”

I've always believed that music could heal a soul, and it's great Kvothe understood that too.

I will admit to preferring the first half of this book to the second half. I loved his adventures at the university, his fights with Ambrose and I especially love Willem and Simmon, plus Devi,Fela and Mola. They're amazing side characters to have along, all displaying their own unique personalities its truly a shame they weren't in this book more.
I think it's safe to say that I still don't understand Denna.

Locations changed a lot in this book, I got to see and learn more about other races in this amazing world created by the author.

"No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.”

I found the Ademre people very fascinating, they were a unique race to read about and it was cool to get to learn about their culture and hand signatures.

About the Felurian incident(view spoiler)

I still find this book's magic system intriguing, I mean a little voodoo and science? Awesome.

Can't wait to find out what happens in the third book, OH WAIT, WE'RE NOT GETTING ONE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

October 22, 2017 – Started Reading
October 22, 2017 – Shelved
October 31, 2017 –
10.0% "I'd really like to know Auri's story"
October 31, 2017 –
15.0% "Something's not right. Why's Denna suddenly so curious about sympathy?"
November 3, 2017 –
40.0% "I can't believe I've only just realised how to pronounce Kvothe properly"
50.0% "Is Denna a ghost?
She always seem to pop out of the blue at the weirdest times."
55.0% "DAMN!!
Denna is a .....?"
November 4, 2017 –
60.0% "Things went downhill pretty quickly. Could've just told her the song was nice"
November 4, 2017 –
65.0% "Yep
I love Tempi"
November 5, 2017 –
70.0% "Felurian??
How's that even possible!!??!!"
November 5, 2017 –
85.0% "What? Vashet too!?!?
Kvothe, Kvothe, Kvothe"
November 7, 2017 –
100.0% "Now that am done with this, i think it's time for me to freak out...
No release date for the third book, what was i thinking starting this series..!!!"
November 7, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 8, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Gavin Great review, Tessy! I love this series and even the whole Felurian incident could not ruin that:)

message 2: by Tessy (last edited Nov 07, 2017 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tessy Ijachi Gavin wrote: "Great review, Tessy! I love this series and even the whole Felurian incident could not ruin that:)"

Thanks Gavin :), yeah am also glad the Felurian thing didn't ruin it for me too. This series is among my favourites.

Leona  Carstairs Currently reading this one, and I am loving it!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Awesome review Tessy :)

Tessy Ijachi Leona wrote: "Currently reading this one, and I am loving it!"

It is an awesome book, hope you continue to enjoy it ;)

Tessy Ijachi Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Awesome review Tessy :)"

message 7: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Obida Fab review!

Tessy Ijachi Deborah wrote: "Fab review!"

Thanks

message 9: by Virginia Ronan (new)

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ You just have to wait until 2021. *lol* At least that's what amazon claims! XD

Tessy Ijachi Virginia Ronan wrote: "You just have to wait until 2021. *lol* At least that's what amazon claims! XD"

Lmao XD, 2021? That's super far to me, I'll have to reread the first and second book

message 11: by ℨαrα (new) - added it

ℨαrα There’s a release date now!?

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Zara wrote: "There’s a release date now!?"

It's just an amazon placeholder date. Means nothing unfortunately. :(

message 13: by ℨαrα (new) - added it

ℨαrα Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Zara wrote: "There’s a release date now!?"

It's just an amazon placeholder date. Means nothing unfortunately. :("

Dammit. Well I’m waiting for a release date at the very least until I read thsee (I say that now but I’ll probably end up reading them sooner)

Tessy Ijachi @Zara
Wise choice, but then again, i think the story's worth the wait.