Lo's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Wow. This book to me is a 4.5 star book, and depending on what day, it could either way 4.5 or 5 out of 5 stars. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it, however I have a feeling that there will not really be a middle ground book. I THINK people will either love it or hate it.

WHY I READ THE BOOK:
The book trailer. I mean look: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Book trailer

I had this book on my TBR list, but it didn't get pushed up until I saw that awesome book trailer. And the cover is so beautiful!

WHAT I THOUGHT:
The official "goodreads" summary doesn't explain much, but I think that's exactly how you should go into it. And, er, that is how I went in. :) If you don't really know what you are getting into, the twists in the book are that much of a greater impact. This book is all of these: mysterious, scary, funny, exciting, paranormal, and thrilling, plus romance where what starts as a smoking, bad rap boy who's slept with basically every girl in school, that will become Mara's swoony and misunderstood love interest with his own shocking secret. The thing I like about this book is that if it is scary it is tiny-noises-startle-me scary,*raises hand* or, if it's funny, it is literally-laughing-out-loud funny that if someone is watching you read they might think you were crazy.

As I read, I kept asking is this a Young Adult book? That's not a bad thing. I (unfortunately) am not in the age group typically belonging to YA. I thank Twilight for my love of Young Adult books. As I was reading though, it had some similarities to a more "mature" Twilight. Again, I mean this in a good way. I like that they are just typical modern teens. I could see some parallels between the two stories, on some quotes, but this isn't about my love for Twilight... This book is strong enough to be classified on its own.

In conclusion, this book is exciting and a fun read. It leaves on a killer cliff-hanger though and so, as I try to stay organized, I add it to my literal excel spreadsheet of books in a series that I can't wait to get back into.

BUY or BORROW: BUY
ROMANCE RATING: SWOON

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

September 27, 2011 – Shelved
October 24, 2011 – Started Reading
October 25, 2011 –
33.0% "OMG! This book is craziness! I love it so far. :)"
October 26, 2011 –