Emelia 's Reviews > A Gathering of Ravens

A Gathering of Ravens by Scott Oden

bookshelves: christophers-rec

A Gathering of Ravens by Scott Oden is a one of the best books I have read in awhile. From the very first page to the very last this book held me in thrall.

A Gathering of Ravens is a book about murder, revenge, and redemption. A tale of Grimnir. Some call him Orc, some The Bringer of Night, and some Corpse-maker. From Grendel to Grimnir their kind has always been feared and hated, and because of this fear all of his kind are dead except Grimnir. The last of his kind to walk the worlds.

Grimnir emerges from his lair by the calling of a blood oath, he must exact revenge against the man who slew his brother. But as he leaves his cave of exile he finds the world he knew has changed. The Old Ways are fading, being replace by a new a new faith. The faith of The Nailed God. Even though the Pagan ways are disappearing, Grimnir must still fulfill his blood oath and awaken from the darkness of his former world to seek out the Half-Dane and make him bleed.

Grimnir takes a young Christian hostage to guide him on the road to the Half-Dane; from Denmark, to England, down the Ash Road of Yggdrasil to Dubhlinn in Ireland, they travel as the blood oath cries out for vengeance. Through lands where spirits are awakening and magic is in the very trees and stones, his captive Aidan must struggle to stay alive.....and to stay sane.

This book will take you on a journey of emotions. First hating Grimnir for his absence of remorse for the death and horror he causes, to having sympathy for him; Discovering that the Monsters we see are not as evil as the monsters that are found in the hearts of men.

I loved this book. And there is no higher rating I can give it than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gathering of Ravens.

October 22, 2017 – Shelved
October 22, 2017 – Shelved as: christophers-rec
November 5, 2017 – Started Reading
November 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Emelia Thanks Christopher, for recommending this book to me.
It was EPIC brother !

Emelia Read....this....book
Right now !
Go !
Stop reading this and get the damn book ! ;)

S.wagenaar This book deserves far more attention than it has garnered thus far; preach it sister!