Isabella ~Mikku-chan~'s Reviews > Birthday Cake and Bodies

Birthday Cake and Bodies by Agatha Frost

bookshelves: favorites, arc-advanced-reader-copy, 5-stars-favourites

When I say I have a soft spot for Barker and like him next to Julia most, it's not an exaggeration. :) Right from the time when he got close to Julia I wished for more revealing of his family and his past.

Julia is doing a great job in trying to unite a family which is shattered - on so many levels.
During the book I felt so hard with Barker, I had headaches imagine dealing with a family like that.

Again Agatha Frost did create a really captivating story, with a thrilling plot and to be honest this time, the revealings were really surprising and I had hard times to find the culprit. So many details to keep in mind, so many secrets between the character.

I really liked the flow the book had, Julia and Barker are close and it shows off, but he is still a qualified investigator and this shows too. He is also proud to have Julia at his side; and his decision to let her the lead in the investigations was really surprising but at the end super smart.

With a solid story, a great character development the book was done in such a quick time and I really didn't wanted to end it.

Not only Barker got his screentime, and all his family connections were shown, Jessie also had her development on page and I loved every piece of it. She and her boyfriend are a sweet pair and some parts of the book were really sadening, so I was happy how everything went on. :)

The mix of different topics in the book like having a gay side character, cheating and of course the murder was pleasant to read and well balanced.

It really shows how comfortable Agatha Frost is in her writing, the experience from the other books shows off and I had a great entertainment with this book, as with the books before.

I can't give anything but 5 out of 5 stars. It is a non-queer romance book, but I recommend this book to all those who love crime cases and quirky but oh-so loveably character being totally unique.
And that's not just because Agatha Frost is the alter ego of Ashley John. ;)

Review originally posted on my blog with added content Mikku-chan / A world full of words

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthday Cake and Bodies.

October 20, 2017 – Started Reading