Alok's Reviews > Preludes & Nocturnes

Preludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: 2019-final-reading-list, fiction, graphic-novel

“What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?”

I wanted to read Sandman for the past 5 years or so. Every year, I'd add it to my reading list and then remove it from the draft just before publishing. This year I'd already read both larger and more disturbing works and had enough space in my reading list, so I finally picked this up. And I'm so glad I did!

Gaiman is a master story teller and he brings seemingly random and unrelated plot elements together, with a finesse. The artwork is beautiful and psychedelic like Arkham Asylum but much more colorful and consistent. The narration and dialogues are sometimes wacky, often poetic.

(view spoiler)

The protagonist is quite different and really surprised me. I think there are definitely areas which people would have different opinions about. Occult themes are at some places used to defy logic, the creative freedom in the work somewhat loosens the plot's grip and there's a lot of straying from it. Some ideas and panels can be really disturbing.

But there were lot of wonderful quotes, damn!

“She's realized the real problem with stories -- if you keep them going long enough, they always end in death.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preludes & Nocturnes.

October 22, 2017 – Shelved