Charlie's Reviews > The Wave in the Mind: Talks & Essays on the Writer, the Reader & the Imagination

The Wave in the Mind by Ursula K. Le Guin

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, stories-and-essays, books-about-books, self-evolution

I haven't read much of Ms Le Guin's fiction yet, though after this I certainly have a lot of respect for her and for the way she thinks. I liked most of the essays in this collection, especially "Dogs, Cats, and Dancers: Thoughts About Beauty", though I was frustrated with her gender-related essays. They tended to focus exclusively on cisgendered men and women, when there's so much more to gender than that. Considering Ms Le Guin is the author of one of the more interesting fictional accounts of gender variance out there (ie, The Left Hand of Darkness), I had expected something less binary-minded. That was my only real qualm, though; most of what I read here was funny and wise and deeply thought-provoking, and I found myself wishing I owned a copy so I could underline the living daylights out of all the brilliant stuff she was saying. Definitely worth a read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave in the Mind.

September 27, 2011 – Shelved
September 27, 2011 – Shelved as: non-fiction
September 27, 2011 – Shelved as: stories-and-essays
October 13, 2011 – Started Reading
October 19, 2011 – Finished Reading
September 19, 2013 – Shelved as: books-about-books
September 23, 2013 – Shelved as: self-evolution

Fipah "They tended to focus exclusively on cisgendered men and women, when there's so much more to gender than that." - sorry to hear that, I would expect more from her. Thinking whether to buy this, everywhere I look it is pretty expensive and no copies here in Czech Republic unfortunately.