Vanessa's Reviews > The Princess and the Goblin

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

bookshelves: book-club-books
Recommended to Vanessa by: Stefanie
Recommended for: Everyone!

This was a really charming children's novel. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. This would be a great book to read aloud as a family. I am excited to read more of George MacDonald's books and learn more about him. Apparently, many writers have been influenced by MacDonald, including C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Madeleine L'Engle, and Lewis Carroll. Thank you, Stefanie, for introducing me to such a great author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess and the Goblin.

Quotes Vanessa Liked

George MacDonald
“Her face was fair and pretty, with eyes like two bits of night sky, each with a star dissolved in the blue.”

George MacDonald
“It was foolish indeed - thus to run farther and farther from all who could help her, as if she had been seeking a fit spot for the goblin creature to eat her in at his leisure; but that is the way fear serves us: it always sides with the thing we are afraid of.”

George MacDonald
“It is when people do wrong things wilfully that they are the more likely to do them again.”

George MacDonald
“...it is so silly of people to fancy that old age means crookedness and witheredness and feebleness and sticks and spectacles and rheumatism and forgetfulness! It is so silly! Old age has nothing whatever to do with all that. The right old age means strength and beauty and mirth and courage and clear eyes and strong painless limbs.”

George MacDonald
“People must believe what they can, and those who believe more must not be hard upon those who believe less. I doubt if you would have believed it all yourself if you hadn't seen some of it.”

George MacDonald
“Seeing is not believing - it is only seeing.”

George MacDonald
“We are all very anxious to be understood, and it is very hard not to be. But there is one thing much more necessary.'
What is that, grandmother?'
To understand other people.'
Yes, grandmother. I must be fair - for if I'm not fair to other people, I'm not worth being understood myself. I see.”

George MacDonald
“Here I should like to remark, for the sake of princes and princesses in general, that it is a low and contemptible thing to refuse to confess a fault, or even an error. If a true princess has done wrong, she is always uneasy until she has had an opportunity of throwing the wrongness away from her by saying: 'I did it; and I wish I had not; and I am sorry for having done it.”

May 4, 2008 – Shelved