Eric's Reviews > Stone of Tears

Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind

M 50x66
Sep 27, 2011

it was ok

I read this a couple years after the first book of the series, Wizard's First Rule, which I remembered enjoying very much. Unfortunately, Stone of Tears didn't live up to expectations. The dialog is wooden at best, and I endured many a scene of one character telling another in excruciating detail about something that other character already knows in order to bring the reader into the loop - a very poor technique, in my opinion. (Richard's point-by-point exposition of Kahlan's powers, TO Kahlan herself, was one of the most egregious examples, but far from the only one.)
I could tell pretty easily which scenes the author was actually interested in writing and which he just wanted to blow past to get to the good stuff by the quality of the descriptions. The former were vivid and evocative, the latter sparse and bland. He also has an unfortunate habit of simply telling the reader point-blank how each character is feeling, rather than making the effort to show emotion through actions and trusting the reader to make the inference.
The book does have its strong points. The characters are distinct and interesting, and their motivations are clear and pretty consistent. The story itself is engaging and compelling. The plot tied together logically, with no glaring holes or inconsistencies.

Taken all together, it's a 3 1/2 star story with 1 1/2 star writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone of Tears.