Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark by Maya Banks

it was ok
bookshelves: rom-suspense

Nathan Kelly's plan was to serve his last tour in the Middle East, and then join his brothers in their private KGI operations, an elite group who contract with the government and private sector, taking on dangerous jobs. But his plan gets screwed up when he gets captured in Afghanistan. Stuck in a dark cave, tortured, naked, and starved, he is not sure how much longer he can survive. But then he hears a voice in his head. At first he thinks he is crazy, but the voice is persistent.

It turns out to be the voice of Shea, who lives back in the States. Shea and her sister Grace have a special gift. They can use telepathy to communicate with people — not specific people, it seems, just random people. Shea can take away someone's pain as well, and Grace can do one step better by healing them. But their special powers bring much danger to them. A year ago, their parents were murdered, while Shea and Grace narrowly escaped. Now they are being hunted by people who want to abuse their ability and most likely do worse things to them. They have separated and don't keep in contact, to stay more hidden.

When Shea hears Nathan's torture sessions, she immediately does everything she can to help take away his pain so he can endure and survive. She anonymously clues his brothers in to where he is being held, so he can be rescued. Once she is secure in knowing he is safe, she stops contact with him, as she continues her own battle to survive. But Nathan is not going to forget that voice in his head, and when Shea ends up being hunted again, she calls out for help.

Whispers in the Dark by Maya Banks is the first I've read of this series, but I think it does pretty well as a stand-alone. It has a strong beginning, as we watch Nathan truly suffer at the hands of his captors. While I'm not a fan of a supernatural twist being thrown into an otherwise straight-forward romantic suspense series, Shea's telepathic abilities didn't annoy me too much. I did find it odd that throughout the book, she communicates only with Nathan and a few other people. She can't control to whom she speaks with, but it also made it sound as though she would have had others trying to talk to her in her head.

But as I said, the beginning is really good. Once Nathan escapes and the story jumps ahead six months to where he is more physically recovered, comes the time where he meets physically with Shea. Here is where the story started to go downhill for me. The romance didn't work for me at all. I get that they have this bond because of the trauma they suffered while he was kidnapped and then later when she was kidnapped, but they meet face to face and pretty much fall in love instantly. They have sex and it's perfect, Nathan is perfect, Shea is perfect, everything is perfect. Well, except that they forget to use a condom several times. But otherwise, everything is just … perfect. It got annoying and their relationship just turned out … corny. Too mushy, too goody-goody, not appealing to me.

I also questioned how Shea could have this mind-blowing, romantic sex (more than once) with Nathan while her beloved sister, the person she cares about most in the world, is missing, possibly kidnapped by the evil bad guys. Shea didn't seem the type to be all smiles and joyful in bed, while the one person in her life who has always been there for her could be in danger.

Whispers in the Dark turned out to be OK for me. The suspense part gets a high grade, but with a lackluster romance, it was more of a disappointing read.

Rating: C-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers in the Dark.

September 27, 2011 – Shelved
December 15, 2011 – Started Reading
December 17, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 23, 2011 – Shelved as: rom-suspense

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Looking forward to your rating/review. ;o)

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo (My House of Books) Had you read the previous books, Mandi? Because those 2 stars make me not want to read this book at this time.

Mandi Schreiner I have not read the previous books. But felt like this one read well as a stand alone. Very disappointing though.

Nicole The paranormal element bugged the CRAP outta me. I love this series, and that kinda ruined it a bit for me... The series is now tainted a little. =(

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo (My House of Books) Well, crap. I liked this series because there wasn't a paranormal aspect.

Nicole @Mrs. Hanson - the book was good despite that. Had there not been the paranormal element, it would have been on par to be just as great as the others in the series. But for me, the psychic part came up so much and was such a huge factor of everything... =(

Mandi Schreiner I didn't like psychic - but worse - the romance was SO corny. Way too lovey dovey - you are perfect. Didn't like.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo (My House of Books) Oh, blech. Thanks, ladies. I'm going to give this one a pass for now.

Nicole I didn't mind the romance - yes, it was somewhat corny, but every now and then it' nice to read a romance book where the hero and heroine don't fight their relationship the whole way through the book. But there were times it seemed almost like a "destined mate" type romance.

Mandi Schreiner hehe..this is why I love chatting with readers...different strokes. ;)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Mandi wrote: I also don't love it when a character has a supernatural ability in a non-paranormal world.

I'm currently reading this book and still trying to adjust from the series switch in genre. There wasn't a hint in previous books of people with special abilities.

Like Nicole stated, the positive is lack of angst between the H/h. There's a lot of Mine! happening similar to shapeshifter books. Also see the 'destined mate' occuring in the next book.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy I've read the entire series and I was VERY disappointed in this one! It was a telepathic cheesefest!

Mandi Schreiner LOL. I def need to go back and read the other ones. I THINK this is a series I would like - just not this one.

message 14: by Helyce (new) - added it

Helyce The first two were awesome! I think I have bk 3 in my tbr. Bummer on this one tho.

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Mandi wrote: "LOL. I def need to go back and read the other ones. I THINK this is a series I would like - just not this one."

I loved the first two books! The third one not as much and definitely not this one. She needs to stick to the romantic suspense without adding the paranormal elements. It's mucking it up in a bad way.

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo (My House of Books) First two books were definitely good; third not as much.

I bought this at a used bookstore, but I don't know if I can bare to read it, given all the bad reviews I've seen.

Is the entire Kelly clan seen? Rusty, specifically?

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Mrs. Hanson wrote: "First two books were definitely good; third not as much.

Is the entire K..."

Yes the entire Kelly family appears but not a lot of Rusty.