Lauren's Reviews > Storm's Heart

Storm's Heart by Thea Harrison

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: other-shifters, paranormal-romance, vampires, fae, assassins, huge-hero, enemies-to-lovers, native-american
Read from January 22 to February 24, 2012

Storm's Heart
4 Stars

Synopsis
After the death of her uncle, Niniane "Tricks" Lorelle becomes heiress to the Dark Fae throne. When an attempt is made on her life, the Wyr are the only ones she can trust and Sentinel Tiago Black Eagle is sent to protect her. Tiago and Tricks have always clashed in the past and this is no exception, however, this time they must also contend with an all-consuming passion that threatens to engulf both their worlds.

Review
An exciting sequel.

Most of the plot focuses on the political intrigue of the Dark Fae world and the threats to Niniane's life. The suspense builds slowly toward a compelling conclusion that is more satisfying than the abrupt climax in Dragon Bound.

The romance between Tiago and Niniane is the weak point in the story. Even though they are a strong and likeable couple, their relationship lacks the chemistry and intensity that characterized Dragos and Pia's connection. Moreover, my preference is for kick-ass, independent heroines and while Niniane can hold her own, she comes across as too "girlie" and frivolous for me. Tiago is simply studly and really sweet for such a large and brutish male. It was great watching him fall hard against his better judgement.

The secondary characters are the most compelling, especially Carling, the vampire queen. Some readers may be put off by her cold aloofness but her backstory is particularly intriguing. I look forward to reading about her and Rune in Serpent's Kiss.

The writing flows smoothly and the dialogue is witty in just the right places. One thing that did irritate me is the heroine's name: Niniane as I was constantly thinking of her as a ninny.

In sum, excellent world building and a good suspense story that make up for the somewhat lackluster romance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm's Heart.