Skye's Reviews > Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately

Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Sep 27, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: vegan-resources

This book has some nice ideas, and the recipes were great. But some of the "chapters" of the book had me rolling my eyes. At one point the author says that the phrase "kill two birds with one stone" is out-dated and promotes a violent life-style. She suggests replacing the saying with "cut two carrots with one knife." Ugggghhhh. This is the stuff that gives vegans a bad reputation. As a dedicated and passionate vegan, ancient sayings like this one are the LEAST of my concerns. I want to write the author and tell her to RELAX. A surefire way to alienate non-vegans is to be super uptight. The author also paraphrased some stories pertaining to animal rights and condensed them into one-two pages, doing a great disservice to the original writers- such as Mark Twain, Susan Glaspell, and Roald Dahl. Why not use her own words instead to talk about activism, and point readers to those stories written by others in an appendix at the end? The pictures are nice, the book is pretty to look at, but I was really disappointed by the content.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vegan's Daily Companion.

Started Reading
September 27, 2011 – Shelved
September 27, 2011 – Shelved as: vegan-resources
September 27, 2011 – Finished Reading

Kimmay I agree about the kill two birds with one stone stuff, I mean I get where she is coming from, but to some people it would definately come off wrong. I liked your review. Still I do like the book, just parts of it are a bit too nit-picky, i mean the goal is to educate people, not push them away.
Overall though I found the book so far to have a few things I would like to investigate further, like some of the literature that she mentions that I haven't heard of.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I agree that some people take that kind of stuff way too far. Since Colleen is very focused on peaceful communication, I think the idea is to think about all the ways that violence against all sentient beings penetrates our lives in ways that we often don't even think about. More than being ultra literal about things, I like that it makes me think about the way I communicate. I probably would never use the term "cut two carrots with one knife", but usually find other ways to avoid using these sayings.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Personally, I LOVE the peaceful communication stuff. It makes people rethink their attitudes about animals when they hear the peaceful versions. That's my opinion, of course. I especially like to say, "Grab the tornado by the tail" instead of grabbing a bull by its horns.

Hey, though, if you don't like it, you can find your own ways to advocate for animals! After all, there's more than one way to peel a potato!